Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: kelbon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 560  
Subject: Re: iPIG Portfolio FAQ v. 1.0.1 Date: 5/17/2013 11:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
* Dividends that are well covered. A payout ratio of less than 2/3 of earnings with those earnings well covered by cash flows is ideal, though exceptions can be made if specific circumstances warrant.

The one stock that seems to be the exception to the rule; that is, they can't cover their dividend from free cash-flow, is Air Products & Chemicals. This hasn't always been the case, though it has three of the last four years. Perhaps not surprisingly, their long-term debt has been on the rise.

APD has been on my watch list over the years, but it is this shortfall that has kept me from pulling the trigger. Perhaps they are going through an intensive capital spending period, which will prove to be the exception to the rule? However, I 'm not inclined to bank on it.

Div. paid Free cash-flow Long-term debt

TTM 540 139

2012 573 244 4,584

2011 457 402 3,928

2010 399 492 3,660

2009 373 144 3,716

(Data from Morningstar)

kelbon
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement