No. of Recommendations: 0
.... do we still qualify for a Roth?

Well, you don't say how big those deductions are. And not all of them can be deducted from your income for Roth purposes.

The $160k number is in Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) as reported on your tax return (with a couple of modifications that probably don't apply). I don't recall the line number offhand, but its the last line on the front page of your 1040. That's the number that needs to be under $160k. And if you want a full Roth contribution, it needs to be under $150k. Between $150k and $160k, you can make a partial Roth contribution.

I believe IRS publication 529 will have all of the details, and a worksheet to see if any of those modifications apply to you. You can get that pub from the IRS web site, .

--Peter <== hoping he got the right publication number from memory
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.