Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
- For part-time, summer, or other temporary situations, it's OK (and common) for the worker to be an IC (independent contractor). My kids both got 1099-misc's from some of their summer & holiday jobs.

I'm guessing you are not in Washington State. Here people, even kids, are required to be employees or have a business license. One exception is paper delivery people.

One of the most frustrating audits I ever had was by State Industrial. They went through every check. If a check was made out to a person they wanted the payroll records or their UBI (Business license number). We had a lady come and clean every other week. They didn't fine us but insisted that she be put on payroll, since she didn't have a business license.

I'm not sure how they work IC's that come in from out of state. There is no income tax, so they wouldn't be paying tax to the state on the income they earn here.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.