Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
- I don't know how to explain this clearly but I'll try. If you withdraw $10K in pre-tax $$, you will need to earn $10K +15% to replace it with after-tax dollars.

MK: You're right, I will have to earn my loan +15% to repay the loan w/ after-tax contributions, but I am essentially borrowing against my income throughout the year. I don't think it's double taxed in that way, which takes me to your next point...

- Also, I think you will be taxed on it again in the future when you withdraw it for good. Why pay taxes on it twice?

MK: This is something I have to look into. Are loan repayment contributions taxes differently at the end of the 401k than income contributions? If not, than no problem, if so, I may be penailzed later on. Good point.

- Also, check with your plan administrator. Our plan will not allow you to continue to make contributions if you have a loan so you lose the contributions and earnings for the time frame of the loan.

MK: We are permitted to continue to make contributions & loan payments concurrently. The contributions are matched normally.

- Also, if something happens and you lose your job, God forbid, that note is due and payable. If you can't pay it, you have to pay the taxes on it plus a 10% penalty. I hope this helps.

MK: This one is delicate. Since I invest the money it's still available. Since I primarily invest the contributions in income DRIPs, the money isn't available for (worst case) three months. All my investments, by sheer chance, pay dividends on the same day; three-month intervals centered around 15-Jan. All my DRIPs become available for withdrawl on the same date! I have to keep enough money in my trading account to cover a quick need. Good heads up, I will have to be certain to maintain that discipline.

MK: Thanks a million for your input, it's great food for thought. I'm like you, I'm a bit hazy on the details. Hopefully we can suck in an expert ;-)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement