UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mschmit Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10547  
Subject: Re: Indoor HDTV Antenna Question Date: 3/12/2007 3:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
. I don't think it was as quite as good as the qualtiy of the HD channels I receive over Comcast, but it's close.

I would guess that the "quality" of the picture is exactly identical. It is digital. The only exception would be if you have brief periods of no picture signal and the iamge seems to pause, etc. But if you don't see anything like that the broadcast picture is the best you can get. Comcast takes this same feed and replicates it exactly (over a different carrier frequency) or possibly re-encodes it to a lower quality first.

Don't spread the myth that there is some image quality difference in an HDTV signal stream. There isn't. However, you can get intermittent signal loss which shows up as a paused picture (where entire frames are lost) or some rows of blocks that seem wrong (due to a partial loss of picture). Cable will almost always be better on this metric (i.e. fewer dropouts). But, even with able you will see some of these because they may be in the feed from the network source.

All that said, there is a difference in antennas. The HDTV signal has built in error detection and correction. Most errors are automatically corrected. The rate that these errors are automatically corrected is subtracted from 100% and can be shown as the signal strength (or similar name) in many HDTV sets.

Mike
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement