Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
[[ I own a small business that is a C corporation.]]

Great...

[[ The next few years it will generate about $30,000 a year in excess cash. The
money will not be needed for several years. Due to loss carryovers from
previous years, there is no income tax due.

I would like to invest the money in stocks in hopes of a higher return than money
market or mutual fund rates. ]]

Seems reasonable...

[[ As I understand the forms, in a C corporation any capital gains (either short or
long term) are treated the same as regular income with no special capital gain tax
rates. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)]]

No correction required. Only individuals receive the preferred tax rates for long term capital gains. Corporations do not.

[[ Do you see any advantages to taking the cash out of the corporation as
additional salary or dividends and then investing the money under my personal
account?]]

That's just impossible to say without knowing your tax siatuation and the tax situation of the corporation. But if this cash will not be needed for corporate purposes in the future, many people would tell you to simply take it out of the corporation (via salary) and invest the funds individually. If you believe that you'll require those funds in the corporation in the future, and you are not willing to make a personal loan to the corporation (or can get your hands on any other funds), you might want to rethink this position.

But, generally speaking, a C corporation is not the place to retain "excess" funds.

TMF Taxes
Roy
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement