Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
. I own stock in a company which recently spinned off one of its businesses. I got a number of shares of the new company for each 10 shares of the old company. The broker sent me a form 1099-B, showing $5.18 as gross proceeds. He explains that instead of giving me fractional shares, the company decided to give me cash. My question is: how is this amount to be declared to the IRS? Short term capital gains? Dividend? Does anyone know? I realize it's a minor amount, but I want to report it correctly.

You should have received instructions from the original company giving guidance (from their attorneys) as to the tax treatment of the transaction (the spin-off). If you don't have these, contact the company or check their website.

Typically, cash in lieu of fractional shares is treated as if you sold the fractional share. The basis in the new shares will be some portion (see the company's advice mentioned above) of the basis in the original stock. The "purchase date" generally is inherited from the original stock.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.