Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
[[ I talked with the IRS on Monday. Here is what they said. I should ignore Part I
of Form 8606 in my case because I had not had any nondeductible contributions

But that's not what you said in your original post, at least as I recall it. So I guess one of us is confused as to what you REALLY did.

[[ Note: I haven't made any nondeductible contributions to the traditional IRA
before and after talking to the IRS, I did not in 98 either. Hence, line 15 of 8606
would be 0 after all. Surprise to me...]]

But again, in your original post, you indicated that you DID make non-deductible IRA contributions. We can only answer the question that you give to us. Sorry.

[[ The operator then suggested the next step, and I had figured it out on my own:
when you have the taxable amount to plug into the 1040 form from the rollover,
you can then use this to find your modified adjusted gross income. THIS can be
used in the IRA deduction worksheet to find the deductible portion of your
contributions for 98 to enter on the IRA deduction line in the 1040. And then
you only get taxed once on your income.]]

That's right...but if part of your IRA contribution is NON-DEDUCTIBLE, then you DO need to complete Form 8606, part I. And if you DID make a traditional IRA contribution for 1998, it might be in your best interest to have it be deductible )if allowable) in 1998, since you can then spread the conversion income over the 4 year period.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.