No. of Recommendations: 0
... Is a net 1% fee structure reasonable here?...

Some downsides.

1) ETF's can trade at a small premium or discount to the underlying fun. My guess is that there is a small premium more often than a discount.

2) Whenever you buy or sell an ETF, you will loose a small percentage due to the spread.

3) Eventually when you sell the fund, you will also pay a commission.

4) With a Vanguard fund, once you get some big bucks in an account, you can get their Admiral funds that have a lower expense ratio.

5) Sometimes a fund closes to new investors but current investors can still add money. I'm not sure what happens to an ETF when the fund that it is based on closes.

6) Keeping track of your cost basis and tracking your performance will be a lot of paperwork, especially with reinvested dividends. I would not count on you broker having all the information 25 years from now when they have gone through several mergers.

I might use ETF's for obscure funds but I not for Vanguard funds.

Print the post  

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.