Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: rah1420 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4772  
Subject: Re: New work rules Date: 10/21/2002 1:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
- Just because I can fix my computer does not mean I want to fix yours. Read the help menu. That's what I did. Call IT. That's what they get paid for. But please stop asking me to map your network drive for the 5th time because you never wrote down how to do it the first 4 times I showed you. Don't keep asking me how to change your away message on Outlook everytime you take half a day of vacation.

just because I CAN fix computers -- and have put together my own and have built my own network -- doesn't mean I want to fix yours. OR your friends'. They pester me and my DW for help because we're both computer professionals. The latest indignity was someone who went to a computer show and bought a barebones machine. He then attempted to install Windows 98 on it. It wouldn't install -- well, it did, but the sound wouldn't work. Then he discovered the power-on BIOS settings and began playing with them to try and get the sound going. Then it wouldn't boot any more.

Needless to say, this computer needed way more help than I could give it. I gave it the old college try -- gamely referencing the computer manual written in pidgin English, discovering that he couldn't seem to locate all the literature he allegedly received with the machine, having him come into the room come in every couple of minutes with one inane comment after another, expecting to see me draw the pentagram and lay hands on the machine and have it spring forth, reborn -- but alas, even my ministrations (mitaus the goat) were to no avail. I told him to take it back to the company that sold it to him. "They're in Ohio."

Well, let's hope they show up at the next local computer show, Einstein, because the only way this is going to run is in a laundry basket in the back of your car.

Oh, and the next time you need help: Press that little button on the phone where the receiver lays, and I'll get back to you.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement