Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
[[ My father passed away overseas and left me some money.
The money is overseas, I was wondering if I am liable for any taxes if I get wired here? ]]

Sorry to hear about your father. My condolonces.

But if he was NOT a US Citizen, he will be required to settle his estate with his country of residence. And, generally, any inheritance that you receive would be paid to you after tax, and would generally not be subject to tax on your end.

If you father WAS a US Citizen, he will have to reconcile his estate according to US estate tax laws. Even so, it is likely that what you receive would be received free from tax.

You really need to direct this question to the executor or administrator of your father's estate.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.