UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: zorba777 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75335  
Subject: Re: Higher income investment ideas? Date: 3/20/2004 3:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
--Not sure what this means. Can you expand on this?

My company's 401K is run through Transamerica retirement (they provide the fund choices, make purchases/sales, etc.)... the corporation of which i am a part has around one hundred employees, and collectively the pension contributions are a total dollar figure that permits the waiver of any loads/12b1 fees as well as reducing the management fees...

if i, as a contributor, were unhappy with the choices offerred by transamerica, i would have the option of "self directing"--going out into the market and picking any fund/stock/bond i desired... but any/all loads, fees, add-ons would apply as in the retail world...

--Yes it is appropriate and yes you should be investing in indexes, especially in your 401k IMHO

Growth fund of America isn't an index fund, is it??

--Oakmark and American are good funds IMHO. I'm guessing you're going through Scottrade or something (if not, I would recommend it.) The expense ratios on American are a bit high and I don't believe in loads. Oakmarks are no loads but expense ratios are a little on the high side. I can't say they are not solid funds

I purchased the IRAs directly through Oakmark... i have an account through Schwab but will plan on closing that after getting to know their fee structure a bit better... Scottrade seems to be popular on this list... if Scottrade doesn't offer a particular fund that you are interested in, do you just have to get it directly from the fund provider??

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement