UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: coolnewbie One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308519  
Subject: Re: A silly typo... Date: 2/9/2013 10:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
- OR whomever got it saw an un-labelled attachment coming through their e-mail and was equally paranoid thinking "Oh My God - it's a spam/virus someone is sending to me!"

Actually DW did send another follow up email to that email address stating exactly what you thought, that any attachments from the email address that the attachment was sent from is a virus...

Yeah, at this point I can just hope that whoever received it will just ignore it and nothing will happen.

I am not sure how credit monitoring services work, but at this point, since I've frozen DW's credit file with all 3 bureau's I'm not sure it would benefit me to sign her up for a credit monitoring service. The downside to the credit freeze is that if any of the existing creditors want to look up her file, they still can do so. I didn't look carefully enough to see if someone can still open a new account with a creditor that she already has an account with. For example, if she's already a Chase customer and this person calls up Chase to open a new account in DW's name, will Chase perform a credit check again before opening the new account or will they see the credit freeze on her file and stop the process? That's what i'm not sure about.

I've called the banks/credit card companies that have issued her a credit card and have requested them to flag her account with an alert. Hopefully all this will be enough to prevent someone from misusing her info.

But yes, I will continue to monitor her credit report (I already do that on a quarterly basis, thanks to Uncle Sam!) and see if I find anything suspicious.

Thanks for your time Gingko100!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement