Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
- The oil and gas companies aren't forcing any person, company or government agency to use their products.

FORCE!? Of course not, as governments maintain fairly successful monopolies of force.
However Oil and gas companies, and crucially persons and organizations and governments enriched by oil and gas companies, committed frauds and spread lies on voters and consumers, bought governments, and did all manner of other things that amount to coercion. Coercion (see Sun Tzu) is always more efficient and effective than force.

- There are tremendous personal and societal advantages to have concentrated, high intensity energy sources. What value would you put on being able to fly home for your father's funeral?

As recently as the young adulthood of my own parents the idea that one should engage in emergency high speed expensive travel to attend a funeral was considered absurd, and indulgence of persons deeply emotionally imbalanced, and of the ostentatiously rich and powerful. Same with destination weddings. Mostly an absurd practice that often defeats the ancient power of such events. However, systems of high speed rail and hyperloops on land and dirigibles across seas are entirely possible and extremely desirable and serve almost as well. Our selfish neglect of future generations SHINES FORTH in our underinvestment in efficient effective infrastructure. My own father would have damned me if I had hurried to his funeral at great cost to the my bank account or to the planet’s wellbeing. Instead he was cremated and we held his memorial 6 weeks later so that our farflung clan could arrange schedules and attend.

There is a high correlation between economic development and fossil fuel use.

Sure. Duh! It was called the 2nd Industrial Revolution by many (the first being based on coal). And before coal? Yes, there is a high correlation between economic development and waterwheels, but nobody after James Watt argued for the necessity of waterwheels because they were increasingly obsolete technically and practically back then as are oil and gas today.

- Suing oil companies would involve suing sovereign governments as most of the world's oil is controlled by government run companies such as Saudi Aramco, the National Iranian Oil Company and Petroleos de Venezuela.

Of course, and I can easily imagine that in one hundred years the biggest historic users and financial beneficiaries of oil and production could face bloody annhilation of their sovereignty if they too long persist in ignoring the terrible “external costs” they continue to dump on the world.

Global Warming is a collective problem that cannot be solved by individuauals acting alone (an Ayn Randian stupidity of the highest
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement