No. of Recommendations: 0
---You start your job and make less than 95,000 or 150,000 (joint) so you start a Roth IRA. Over the next few years, you start
to make more money so you no longer qualify for the Roth so you stop contributing to the Roth and make a traditional IRA----

I think not. You are eligible for a standard IRA up to I believe around 51,000 individual. If you do not qualify for that, you can contribue to a Roth. After you are above the Roth limit, you can make NON-DEDUCTABLE contributions to a standard IRA. The deposits as well as the withdrawls will be taxed I believe. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

And you cannot do a direct rollover from a 401k to a Roth IRA. You have to rollover to a regular, then convert.

I hope this helps.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.