No. of Recommendations: 0
I keep getting interesting offers in the mail. Here is the newest: Traveler's Group Platinum Visa: 0% APR on new purchases through October billing; 6.99% APR on balance transfers; no annual fee; and all the small perks like travel, auto, and luggage insurance and extended warranty protection.

Will I get the card? Most likely not since I don't have a near term large purchase where I could keep the money in the bank during the interest free 6 months. But I could use a Platinum card since I don't have a Gold or Platinum card yet (probably the only one who doesn't). Any recommendations on one. Interest rate does not matter since I always pay off the charges every month. The only thing that is important is no annual fee and maybe some small perks.
Print the post Back To Top
<< Will I get the card? Most likely not since I don't have a near term large purchase where I could
keep the money in the bank during the interest free 6 months. But I could use a Platinum card since
I don't have a Gold or Platinum card yet (probably the only one who doesn't). >>

No, you're not. I keep getting offers for various gold & platinum cards, and I keep tossing them in the good ol' circular file. I am, in all honesty, AVOIDING the golds and plats -- so many want annual fees, the perks aren't generally anything I have any serious interest in taking advantage of, or else I don't want to be too tempted to use the card just to get perks, and I don't want to have that high of a credit limit. So I will stick with my plain ol'Visa and my plain ol'AmEx Optima, thank you very much. Any further cards I get will either be a) the prepaid variety or b) offer some REALLY neat perks and be an out-&-out replacement for one of my current cards.

Kaiti
Jedi orbiting credit.
<<

I keep getting interesting offers in the mail. Here is the newest: Traveler's Group Platinum Visa: 0%
APR on new purchases through October billing; 6.99% APR on balance transfers; no annual fee;
and all the small perks like travel, auto, and luggage insurance and extended warranty protection.

Will I get the card? Most likely not since I don't have a near term large purchase where I could
keep the money in the bank during the interest free 6 months. But I could use a Platinum card since
I don't have a Gold or Platinum card yet (probably the only one who doesn't). Any
recommendations on one. Interest rate does not matter since I always pay off the charges every
month. The only thing that is important is no annual fee and maybe some small perks.>>

Never saw the point of a platinum or gold card. For a higher fee, you seem to get some meaningless (to me) perks, and a funny colored credit card. Appears merely to be bragging rights.

Crazyfred
Crazyfred sed:
<<<
Never saw the point of a platinum or gold card. For a higher fee, you seem to get some meaningless (to me) perks, and a funny colored credit card. Appears merely to be bragging rights.
>>>

I'm going to coin a term here... "Metal Creep"

Used to be, a Gold Card had a certain cachet to it... but as more and more people got them, the "membership" in a Gold Card account lost its ability to confer prestige. And so, when the marketing oomph was drained out of the "Gold" concept, the credit card peddlers upped the ante: the mark of the true elite became the Platinum Card.

Of course, everybody and his brother qualifies for a Platinum Card these days... even I've got one, and if they let me have it on a Fool's salary, they aren't exactly checking pedigrees. So we may define "Metal Creep" as the tendency for a decline in the efficacy of the symbols used by credit card marketers in their attempts to confer an aura of status to their products -- especially when said symbols are gimmicky, like the funny color of a plastic rectangle. In a few months, I'll be expecting the dapper and well-to-do will be flashing their Plutonium Cards under the turned-up noses at Tiffany's. Three months after that, we'll all have them.

Moral of the story: read the fine print -- don't be dazzled by the shiny colors. Remember, kids... prestige doesn't have the cachet it once had.

Cheeze
Crazyfred says:

<<Never saw the point of a platinum or gold card. For a higher fee, you seem to get some meaningless (to me) perks, and a funny colored credit card. Appears merely to be bragging rights.>>

I don't know what fee you are talking about. I get at least 10 platinum card offers a month with no annual fees. The other fees like cash advances are unimportant since I use my card only for purchases. The interest rate is unimportant since I pay the charges off each month.

I don't care what color card I carry except for florescent colors. I don't need robbed at night. But I won't give up my Ringling Bros. card since I get good laughs from the clown on it.

The reason for considering a platinum card is to get the extra perks like extended warranty, purchase protection, car rental insurance, and higher travel insurance. You don't get these perks with the basic cards. I know the chances of collecting on these perks are remote but you never know.

If there is no annual fee and you never have finance charges, I ask, why not get the funny colored cards.
<<I'm going to coin a term here... "Metal Creep">>

I think Cheeze hit it right on the head! You would never guess what showed up in my mailbox the other day... A PREAPPROVED TITANIUM CREDIT CARD!!!

I am not kidding. This came from First USA bank. Before too long, there won't be enough precious metals left to name credit cards after!

David (But I'm not) Boring
David,

Heard that First USA was going to be offer the first Titanium cards soon... Since Platinum has become so present dare say a dime a dozen now, they needed a new gimic to entice us consumers....

I have had bad experiences with First USA and would never recommend them to anyone. Before you take it make sure you read the fine print...

By the way... Last I looked Titanium was NOT a precious metal... It is used often in heavy industry. I am sure they used to since the name connotates LARGER than LIFE

I did find this link on a quick web search for Titanium if anyone is interested...

http://www.shef.ac.uk/chemistry/web-elements/Ti/key.html

Rob

Bottles
David,

Heard that First USA was going to be offer the first Titanium cards soon... Since Platinum has become so prevalent dare say a dime a dozen now, they needed a new gimic to entice us consumers....

I have had bad experiences with First USA and would never recommend them to anyone. Before you take it make sure you read the fine print...

By the way... Last I looked Titanium was NOT a precious metal... It is used often in heavy industry. I am sure they used to since the name connotates LARGER than LIFE

I did find this link on a quick web search for Titanium if anyone is interested...

http://www.shef.ac.uk/chemistry/web-elements/Ti/key.html

Rob

Bottles

Ment to say prevalent... sorry
<<I guess I will wait for a Uranium card from the Bank of Chernbyl.>>

I mean Chernobyl.

I guess I will wait for a Uranium card from the Bank of Chernbyl.

<<
I guess I will wait for a Uranium card from the Bank of Chernbyl.>>

Or the Plutonium card from Alamogordo Savings and Loan ;-)

huh huh huh,
BeavisNButthead
<<I think Cheeze hit it right on the head! You would never guess what showed up in my mailbox the other day... A PREAPPROVED TITANIUM CREDIT CARD!!!>>

When they send me a gold card...made with real gold, then I'll be impressed. ; )

Of course, that would put a whole new spin on getting your card stolen, eh?

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Advertisement