CD at Nationwide Bank $510.00
Brokerage Balance at Schwab: $28,959.10

Car Loan : $12079.20 APR 2.49% min pmt $111.48 every two weeks
Secure Cd Loan $317.63 APR 2.30% min pmt $49.21 every two weeks
Secure Cd Loan $975.00 APR 3.55% min pmt $38.22 every two weeks

Chase Freedom: $420.00 min payment $0
Chase Slate:$0
Ax: $43.44 min payment $0

Paid $580.03 in checking 3 on Thursday, $5 savings 2, $28 efund at AZFCU, $35 Schwab.

I get a raise in my pay in two weeks for performing at a Good rating.

I took new loan for $975 to buy 1000 par value 5.5% SLM Corp 2030 Bond and 9 Shares of Hunnington National Bank.(HBAN)

Schreaded offer from Capital One for new CC.

I Declined offer from Chase Mortgage for condo loan for $28,000 because I didn't think afford the HOA and utilities and move out of mom and dad's house( I was approved for this loan)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 15
Why are you borrowing money to invest?

Fuskie
Who would rather you set aside the $975 and other funds to one day be able to afford a home loan...
No. of Recommendations: 27
CDs at Sunwest $26,880.63
CD at Nationwide Bank $510.00
Brokerage Balance at Schwab: $28,959.10

So you have over $56k in potentially liquid savings and investments.

Car Loan : $12079.20 APR 2.49% min pmt $111.48 every two weeks
Secure Cd Loan $317.63 APR 2.30% min pmt $49.21 every two weeks
Secure Cd Loan $975.00 APR 3.55% min pmt $38.22 every two weeks

So you have $13k in debt that you have voluntarily taken on to fund your savings and investments (using these loans as a margin account) and so you don't have to give money to your parents. And this voluntary debt requires about $430/month ($198 every 2 weeks) in payments.

I Declined offer from Chase Mortgage for condo loan for $28,000 because I didn't think afford the HOA and utilities and move out of mom and dad's house( I was approved for this loan)

So you have chosen not to purchase a condo because you are concerned about the monthly utility, HOA costs and a PIT loan payment of about $160/month (assuming a 30 year mortgage at 4%, property taxes at $325/year and insurance being covered in the HOA fee)? How much are the utility and HOA costs per month? Unless they are more than $270/month, you would have had no impact to your cash flow if you had chosen to pay off your voluntary debt. As an added bonus, you would have more control over your financial life than you seemed to indicate you had in this post: http://boards.fool.com/ajquot-why-are-you-not-going-to-pay-o...

It's all about the choices you make. You seem to be choosing to live on terms that you feel are imposed on you by Mom & Dad, rather than moving out and living on your own terms.

AJ
No. of Recommendations: 0
Why are you borrowing money to invest?

I'd like to build my account balance at Schwab and when mom and dad die I could sell my stocks and bonds at market and sell $10K from my Roth because I now qualify for 1rst time homebuyer and try to find something a condo or trailer that I could pay cash rather than have a mortgage that would stress me.

Interest rates on borrowing is attractive at Sunwest when you borrow from your cds the rate is 2% above the dividend rate. I can get above 5% in the junk bond corporates available at Schwab while I wait for the price to improve.

Mom fell last weekend from her bed. Dad and I could not get her up we had to call the fire department to get her up.
No. of Recommendations: 5
If you are concerned about your parents passing, you should not be investing money you may need in the next 5 years anyway.

Fuskie
Who doesn't think a low interest rate is sufficient rational for taking out a loan to fund an investment, since you could lose money on the investment and not have sufficient funds to repay the loan...
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm so sorry to hear about your mom.

I looked at some prices in Phoenix for my sister two years ago, and while the market has recovered quite a bit since then, you can still find some real steals, especially if you are willing to look at condos or townhouses instead of just single family homes.

I have friends that paid cash for a single family near "downtown" Glendale, and it needed some cosmetic work (had holes in the drywall, needed new flooring.) But now they have a paid for house.
No. of Recommendations: 8
I'd like to build my account balance at Schwab and when mom and dad die I could sell my stocks and bonds at market and sell $10K from my Roth because I now qualify for 1rst time homebuyer and try to find something a condo or trailer that I could pay cash rather than have a mortgage that would stress me.

Why are you waiting? You were approved for a $28k mortgage. You have almost $29k in your brokerage account alone, which is more than the $28k mortgage you were approved for. Another $10k from your Roth, and/or cashing in $10k of your $27k in CDs (which I would recommend rather than robbing your Roth) should provide enough for the downpayment and closing costs, and would still leave you with a pretty signigicant balance in CDs for emergencies.

I would also agree that if you are planning on selling your brokerage account holdings 'at market' you are taking a significant risk on money that you seem to be planning on using for something pretty critical (a place to live after Mom & Dad can't provide you one) but the timeframe is pretty much an unknown and could potentially be at a time when the market is down.

Again, it all comes back to the choices you make.

AJ
Advertisement