Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
#1 also offers a Safe Harbor type 401k. Unfortunate for me, It's not an option I want to participate in. It offers no investment options, I don't have ANY visibility as to what I am invested in until months later...nor do I have any choices.

That sounds like a pretty unappealing plan. Do you know if you are allowed to make 'In-Service Distributions' from your plan? There may be a minimum age requirement, but if your plan allows it and you meet the minimum age, you could roll your money over to an IRA.

Because, (going forward this will again be my coming year AGI) I will be under the required AGI with this employer, can I invest in a traditional IRA AND take the tax credit at the end of the year?

Sorry, the ability to deduct a contribution to a Traditional IRA is dependent on your total MAGI (Modified Adjusted Gross Income - see IRS Pub 590 on how to calculate this), not income attributable to a specific employer. According to what you have said, it appears that you will be over the limit for a deductible contribution.

If not, what are my options?

You should be able to make a Roth contribution. You could make a non-deductible IRA contribution. You could invest in a taxable account.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.