Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
1) From what I can gather, you CAN double-dip; use both the FSA to use pre-tax funds AND take a credit for the amount over that spent on child care. So, let's say you spent $7000 - you would be able to use $5000 pre-tax money on that and then also take $2000 into consideration for the child care credit, right?


First, you limit the child care expenses under consideration to $3000 for one child, $6000 for two or more. Then you subtract off any expenses paid thru an FSA. What's left is available for the child care credit.

So I guess you can get a little bit of a double dip. You can exclude $5k from income AND take a credit for the last $1k of expenses.

I'll have to leave the EIC question to our VITA gurus. I don't see it often enough to recall off the top of my head.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.