Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: PaulEngr Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1670  
Subject: Re: Discount conundrum Date: 6/20/2011 9:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
1. I use the long term S&P 500 historical average minus around 0.5% as my discount rate. Why? Because my decision is between investing in an index mutual fund or directly in individual stocks. If I can't beat the average, there's no reason to play. That being said using the short term average is fraught with obvious difficulties. So in other words, I use a constant 10%.
2. The stocks do seem undervalued. Same with the S&P 500. Most of the jitters are over Greek debt and/or whatever the feds are going to do because their debt game is almost expired. The concern is that it will spark another recessionary cycle. My problem is this:
A. If the Europeans default, the result in the U.S. will be that certain financials (Goldman-Sachs) will go nuclear. At this point it's uncertain how much additional effect this can really have.
B. If the U.S. defaults or virtually defaults (Treasury can't sell any more bonds which is almost true now, and the federal reserve can only buy them by devaluing the currency...hence a virtual default which has the same effect...runaway inflation), then only equities will have any value at all. The bond market turns into a black hole sucking in almost everything except some corporate bonds.
C. If neither happens eventually the fed is going to be forced to raise interest rates in a severe way. They've already fallen into the zero-interest black hole with no way out. This is unsustainable over the long term...again, runaway inflation.
3. Regardless of whether we somehow muddle through or go into inflation (deflation is basically mathematically impossible at this point), pretty much ANY equity except financials is a safe bet. Recession plus high inflation is certainly a very real possibility (think back to 1970's) but in this particular case, the government isn't in the driver's seat and at least with equities, not all the winds are blowing against us.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement