Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
1) If I were to file amended returns for 2000 and 2001 using an appropirate method for determining the cost basis of the sold shares I would be entitled to receive about $6. So my question is, can I simply forget about the $6, and claim "no harm, no foul", and move on?

I vote "yes."

2) I now want to sell the shares I bought with a broker in 1999. Will my error in #1 above prevent me from simply using the actual cost of those shares bought in 1999?

I recommend that you add up the total invested through all sources, subtract the basis amounts that you used on your 2001 and 2002 sales, and use balance for this final sale.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.