UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: PMcMullenCT Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75825  
Subject: Re: Totally Confised Fool Date: 5/15/2001 7:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
1. IRA is not an option as a tax saving benefit for us because of the tax bracket

I don't believe there are Traditional IRA restrictions based on income unless you are eligible for a plan at work (401K). Even so, you can always contribute after-tax money to a Traditional IRA for tax deferral. If you earn less than $150,000 you can contribute to a Roth IRA for tax free growth.

2. I should start investing in a index fund.

This is a very tax efficient option for accounts outside of tax shelters.

3. Does an Educational IRA make sense?

The limit is currently $500 per year, but legislation is likely to change that starting next year. The Senate's latest version of the tax bill increases that to $2,000. I believe the bill also removes the restrictions on making contributions to both a Coverdell Education Savings Account (Ed. IRA's are being renamed) and a state sponsored 529 plan in the same year. 529 plans are a great option as well. You don't have control over how the money is invested, but there is no cap on annual contributions.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement