Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
1. Most people do not "live deliberately" for most of their lives. They "wander through" on a kind of
"autopilot".

I whole-heartedly agree with this premise. Nothing irks me more than a person who claims to be a victim of circumstance ("autopilot people"). We all know the type---they always have a "poor me" attitude. I believe that life is what you make it (I know, it's a cliche, but it's also true). Everyone has obstacles in their lives, eveyone has bad things happen to them. It's how you react to these situations that determines the quality of your life.

It's also important to remember that you can control a lot of what happens in your life. Many people invite chaos by making stupid decisions then whine about how nothing ever goes right. They don't realize that their actions will always produce a reaction. Nothing is done in a vacuum. Every decision you make has an effect on you and others, even though it might not be apparent to you what that effect may be.

To live deliberately, you need to be able to see the "big picture" of your decisions. Too many people are so mired in the "me" part, they fail to see what they are doing to everyone around them. For example, I cringe when I hear people describe marital infidelity as "it just happened". Nothing "just happens"---it's all deliberate. It's just that people don't want to take responsibility for it.

2. Our society (American society is the only one I can speak with any real certainty on) encourages and
promotes this type of non-deliberate thinking.

You betcha. Why take responsibility? Then you can continue to be a "victim". For example, a had a BF long ago that wrecked a company car while working. He said that it was my fault because we argued the morning before he left for work. What?! Thankfully, I changed to a more LD boyfriend selection process.

Whew. I only addressed 2 of your points, but my rant has gone on too long. I'm not sure that I organized my response very well, but this is a passionate subject to me. Thoughts?

MM (back to lurking...)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement