No. of Recommendations: 2
1. My portfolio has been 120 - age in stocks & stock like things. So, each year that I've been doing this, it gets more heavy in bonds and bond-like things.

2. If I knew "then" what I know now, I wouldn't have added a 5% position in commodities (stock like thing) or ~4% position in The Merger Fund. The commodities may end up juicing returns, but a decade in it just seems like an unneeded complication. The Merger Fund is there because I figured interest rates had nowhere to go but up five years ago, and as we all know, bonds lose out during interest rate increases. The Merger Fund should be interest-rate-neutral. As it turns out, my bond funds have been returning 3% to 5% a year, beating MERFX. Congratulations, I ended up playin' myself.

3. I have stock funds, and no individual stocks.

4. I've gone to a barbell stock mix: Large cap index + small cap value on the "staid" end, and a smidge of Health Care, Biotech and Internet on the other end. My international stock funds are overweighted in Europe/Pacific Indexes. I upped my Emerging Market allocation a year ago to 5%. It's performed well, so I consider that a choice that was half smart and half luck. You can be correct, but at the wrong time, and lose money.

5. I tracked my performance back to 1986, and am running at like 9.6%. Reasons are:
-I was >90% stock (S&P500 index mainly) for decades, and this time around I realize I can't necessarily take a "hit" and hold on.
-I started actually putting money in stocks right after the 1990 crash. Before that, my IRA investments were CDs earning (IIRC) 14%!!!
-I didn't panic and sell at bottoms. "Retirement" was so far away, it just seemed like the US economy would always bounce back.
-Dollar cost averaging probably helped. Mathematically, you invest the same money at highs and lows, but buy more shares at the lows.
-I was interested in costs long before it became popular to do so.
-My 401k matching money and half of the contribution that was matched was required to be held in company stock. You couldn't get out for a certain period. (IIRC, it was a year after it vested, and it vested on Jan 1, meaning on Jan 1 2005 you could sell your company stock from 2003.) When the company went bankrupt, I lost a significant chunk. Some people sold 100% of what they were allowed to on the first trading day of the year, but I didn't. I got a decent amount out before the bankruptcy, but that required selling at a loss. That sucked, but was counteracted by the next point.
-Putting in 10% doesn't seem like much, but if you do it for a few decades, don't screw up the asset allocation BIG TIME, it really compounds.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement