UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: meppen99 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 571  
Subject: 1. mystery Date: 6/19/2001 8:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
taking the sting out the rash
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lapdog9 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16 of 571
Subject: Re: 1. mystery Date: 6/19/2001 9:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
taking the sting out the rash

to make the rash stop hurting, burning, stinging.

A rash, a red swelling which can sting or itch or burn.

For example. a bee sting can cause a rash.

JT was using lemon juice as a medicne to help the stop the sting.

ld

Author: MizBlue Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21 of 571
Subject: Re: 1. mystery Date: 6/19/2001 10:08 AM
Recommendations: 10
"Taking the sting out of the rash" is also used as a
slang expression in certain parts of the U.S., usually
rural sections. For example:

Joe: "All I did was pour money in that car for repairs."

Moe: "So what did you do?"

Joe: "I sold it -- at a heavy loss. But I had to do
something to take the sting out of the rash!"

Used in this country-like manner of speaking, Joe is
saying he had to stop what was a bad situation or it would
have been worse -- he would have continued to lose even more
money. By selling the car, he eased what would have
dragged on to a long-term problem.....I know a man from Oklahoma and a lady from
Kentucky who both use this sting-rash phrase per above. -Luv,
Mizzie

Author: rosebear Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46 of 571
Subject: Re: 1. mystery Date: 6/19/2001 8:26 PM
Recommendations: 7
My guess is: If you rub some cortisone cream on a rash the pain goes away.

Author: meppen99 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52 of 571
Subject: Re: 1. mystery Date: 6/20/2001 4:21 AM
Recommendations: 3
Thanks for the explanation, Mizzie. Giving an example made it perfect. It looks as if this board might even be of use for the native speakers as you were the only one able to explain.

Anja

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement