Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
(1) Take the proceeds from the sale of my home, lets say it was $1,000,000 and take 50% of it and take an aggressive investment approach of investing 75% in stocks and 25% in bonds/short-term assets. This would be my retirement account. I am 33 and plan to retire at 55. I'd probably also throw 10% of it in an Index Fund like the S&P 500.

(2) Take the other 50% and keep it liquid by putting it in a high-yield short-term asset account like a Money Market.

You probably need more asset types than just stocks, bonds and money markets.

Your asset allocation, as outlined, is 37.5% stocks and 62.5% bonds/cash. At the age of 33, that seems like a very heavy bonds/cash weighting. With this type of allocation, you are running a significant risk of losing purchasing power to inflation.

(3) Live off my income and pretend the money isn't there

Would the investments currently provide enough income to replace the income you are going to 'live off'? If not, especially with the asset allocation you have outlined, it is unlikely that the investments will provide you enough income to maintain your lifestyle in retirement, so you may still need to save some of your current income for retirement, if you stick to you current plan.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement