UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Providence Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1950485  
Subject: Re: Fahrenheit 9/11 avec croissant Date: 7/21/2004 1:39 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
1) The French were worried that if we did find any WMDs in Iraq, they
would have found French manufacturer's markings on them.

Why would the French be worried? No WMDs were found...

The country that, through the late 80s, supplied Iraq with biological agents and potentially worse weapons was the United States of America. The following edited excerpt comes from House of Bush, House of Saud, by Craig Unger. I've edited down pages 78 to 81.

"In March 1988 Saddam Hussein dropped chemical bombs on Halabja, an Iraqi town in Iranian-held territory killing five thousand of his own people, Iraqi Kurds..."

"U.S. intelligence sources told the Los Angeles Times that the poison gas was sprayed on the Kurds from U.S. helicopters, which had been sold to Iraq for crop dusting..."

"By the time Bush became president in January 1989, the Iran-Iraq War had ended in a stalemate; there was no longer a reason to arm Saddam..."

But now that he was president, Bush...actually increased U.S. aid to Saddam in an effort 'to bring him into the family of nations.' Incredibly, Bush's policy would facilitate Iraq's development of ballistic, chemical, and even nuclear weapons. Bush implemented it despite repeated warnings from his own administration about Saddam's massive military buildup, human-rights violations, use of chemical weapons, and continued support for terrorism."

"In March 1989, State Department officials told Secretary of State James Baker that Iraq was working on chemical and biological weapons and that terrorists were still operating out of Iraq. In June, the Defense Intelligence Agency sent a Top Secret report to thirty-eight Bush administration officials, warning that it had uncovered a secret military procurement network for Iraq operating all over the world."

"That included the United States. In September of 1989, the Defense Department discovered that an Iraqi front company in Cleveland was funneling American technology to Iraq's nuclear weapons program, but the Bush administration allowed the company to operate -- even after the invasion of Kuwait in August 1990, nearly a year later..." (italics mine)

and from page 131: by July 19, 1990 the State Department had uncovered "seventeen (US/Iraq export) licenses for bacteria that could be used with biological weapons..."

We cannot white-wash our self-serving, double-dealing around the world -- we have supported and supplied rogue states and terrorists in Afganistan, Iraq and many, many other places around the world. I do not pretend that other countries (i.e. France, Russia) are any less corrupt than we are, but that doesn't excuse our own murderous dealings. We are fighting a multi-front war against enemies we cannot and will not see. I worry about our future. I have seen the enemy and they are us and them and you and me.

Providence
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement