UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (52) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: eudaimon6 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308882  
Subject: Re: Credit Bureaus sued! Date: 7/19/2006 9:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
1. They're not extending me credit.
Utilities that sell you goods and then collect after that use are extending credit in a way.

I suppose the paper boy and the trash company should start reporting, too.

2. They don't report to the CRA's because they're not extending me credit.

Funny. Most do report if you miss a payment. I guess you only consider it extending credit at that time.

In my experience as a dealership F&I manager, having looked at a half-dozen or so credit reports a day for the last nine years, I have seen utility companies either report a complete payment history or nothing until an account is sent to collections. I've never seen a utility company report only late payments. There is, of course, a considerable difference between a thirty day late payment and an account which has been turned over to a collection agency. Many merchants who do not extend credit or who do not report to the CRA's use collection agencies, often just in pursuit of bad checks.

3. The electric company which does sort of extend me credit does report to the credit bureau, and they report accurately and fully.

This is rare. Most electric companies don't report anything, regardless of the payment set up, unless you miss payments.

Then they will nail you.

I don't really know how rare it is. My experience is limited generally to my work in central Illinois. Illinois power is, in fact, the only local utility company which reports that I have seen. Again, the other utilities in this area, the ones that do not report anything about monthly pay patterns, do not report late payments. They report accounts which have been sent to collections.

Things are different in different places. None of this has anything to do with CapOne's business practices, so all the issues you have raised are really nothing more than red herrings, in my opinion. I can only think of one reason CapOne would not report credit limits. I know it affected my personal credit score. I know that when I switched from CapOne to MBNA my credit score jumped 20 or so points, and that was with adding a new account. CapOne didn't report my credit limit, and MBNA did.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Dean
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (52) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement