UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (134) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JoelCairo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757719  
Subject: Re: A Price to be Paid Gov Christie Date: 1/7/2013 7:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
1. We're out of money as a country.

No we're not. We're going to make over 200 trillion dollars just in the next ten years. And you think we can't find a way to lower the debt to a percentage of GNP that is reasonable over that time without making people suffer, live in poverty, because the wealthy may have to pay a little more?

2. The rest of us want to help you.

So far as I can tell, what you consider help many people would consider non-help, and in its worst manifestations, actual abuse.

3. While we're helping, we'd rather not pay $150 million dollars to some fishery in Alaska (I doubt Sandy made it that far west). Nor is it necessary to double Amtrak's budget right now.

Ah, now you nit pick. I can do the same. I don't see why the tax-payer should support seven figure compensation packages as a legitimate business expense, or mortgages on $15 million houses. Or useless fighters and aircraft carriers, or a criminal concetration camp in Cuba.

Or, for that matter, a terrible ten year war based on lies abnd ambition, not on national security concerns.

4. We're about to hit our national debt ceiling, so to most people it makes sense to spend dollars wisely.

It does make sense to spend wisely, and sometimes, it makes sense to borrow for the long-term good. Now, we've had three decades of borrowing for the wrong reasons, and we need to balance the books of those terrible mistakes -- and have the people who benefited most from those mistakes -- who pocketed a lot of what became our debt -- to pay it. You don't. You want to keep the money.

To a screaming liberal, actually paying one's bill is of course irrelevant. You're right, my mistake.

The irrelevance is the "I got mine by hook and by crook," and its unAmerican for me to give some of it back, even at the margin of my undeserved wealth. And you're right -- that's a mistake we will have to pay for for a long long time.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (134) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement