No. of Recommendations: 3
1. What is the best online site for purchasing and finding info on US Savings Bonds?

United States Savings Bonds are at with separate links to specifically E/EE-Bonds, H/HH-Bonds, and I-Bonds.

EE-Bonds and I-Bonds can be purchased online with a credit card (the link to the place one can purchase them is on the page or from the E/EE-Bond and I-Bond information pages). They can also be purchased through automatic direct debit of your checking or savings account on a monthly (or specific-month) basis. Most financial institutions will also allow you to purchase EE-Bonds and I-Bonds, especially if you are a customer of that institution. (I purchased my I-Bonds through my credit union.) Some employers also allow you to purchase EE-Bonds or I-Bonds through payroll deduction.

Do not use the page except for the links to savings bonds--the Treasury Direct page is for Treasuries--notes, bills, bonds--that you can buy directly, but when they say "bonds" they are not referring to U.S. Savings Bonds. (On the other hand, if you are interested in buying Treasuries directly without paying commissions, is the right place to go.)

2. What is the best way to track the value of a personal portfolio of savings bonds?

Can you connect through AOL and then as a separate task launch a web browser? (I can and do do that in Windows95 by using AOL to get a connection, and then when I start Internet Explorer it will use the AOL connection to get to the Internet.) If so, then when you use the web calculator to enter your Savings Bonds portfolio, you can then do a "File" "Save as" to save your portfolio, and at a later date you can open that file in your web browser and then update the date for computing the value of your bonds and it will get the current rate information from the Treasury. (By the way, you technically don't need to enter the serial number--that information is kept locally, but the pricing information is based strictly on the type of bond, i.e., I, EE, or HH, the face value, month/year of issue, and the month/year of which you want to see the value of the savings bond.)

I don't know of any bond calculator that is Macintosh-specific, but that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any.
Print the post  

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.