Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jeffbrig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71119  
Subject: Re: Lowest-cost insurance car(s) for teen? Date: 2/11/2013 9:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
1. what types of cars have the lowest insurance costs for teen drivers, and
Thinking back to my teen years, it didn't seem to matter all that much. I imagine a good 80% of the cost is fixed, due to the liability of a young, inexperienced, male driver. Things that will run up the cost are high performance cars, two seaters (don't ask me why), and convertibles.

2. what types of cars are safest AND least likely to get damaged or totaled?
Modern cars are going to be the safest. Anything say 2000 and up will have airbags, side impact beams, crush/crumple zones, etc. But keep in mind, energy absorbing crush zones actually INCREASE the odds of a totaled vehicle in an accident. They protect you by deforming to absorb crash energy, but in doing so, they are one time use, if you know what I mean.

so far DF and I have been discussing things like Toyota/Honda small SUV's, for reliability....
Be careful of small SUVs with spare tires hanging off the rear hatch. Back into a pole or taller vehicle, and the rear window is often shattered. A rather pricey repair. In my experience, teens are rarely skilled at driving it reverse.

and now I'm actually picturing something like a 20+-year-old Mercedes Benz that won't crumple in the school parking lot.
If you have financial concerns about repairing/replacing a $4-5k vehicle, It is extremely unlikely that you will want to pay to keep a 20 year old german car on the road.

If it were my kid, I'd probably be looking for a basic Civic/Carolla maybe 8-10 years old. Find a clean one that hasn't been modded or beat on, and it should go 200k miles easy with very little money put into it.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement