Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2598  
Subject: 10 Ways to Master Your Blood Glucose Meter Date: 4/14/2012 4:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The accuracy of your meter results depends, in part, on how well you follow the steps for testing. Feeling a little rusty? Read on for the top 10 testing tips.

1. Wash your hands.
The single most important step you can take to get a trustworthy reading is to use good ol’ soap and water before you prick your finger. “We’re concerned about whether there might be some residue from eating a piece of fruit or perhaps some lotion on your hands. That can affect the test,” says Marlene Bedrich, RN, MS, CDE, program coordinator for the University of California Diabetes Teaching Center.

2. Use alcohol.
When you’re stuck somewhere without a sink in sight, rubbing alcohol will do the trick. Use it in place of hand washing to clean the finger, removing any residue before you test. Alcohol-drenched swabs or hand sanitizer will work. But there’s no need to use alcohol after washing your hands.

3. Dry your hands.
Whether you wash your hands or use an alcohol swab before testing, be sure to dry thoroughly. Excess water and rubbing alcohol can dilute your blood sample, affecting your reading.

Check out the rest of the tips here:

http://forecast.diabetes.org/meter-apr2012

Fuskie
Who thinks the most important tip is to use your meter regularly and consistently...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: aurelutra2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2478 of 2598
Subject: Re: 10 Ways to Master Your Blood Glucose Meter Date: 4/17/2012 2:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
the further information states that you should NOT squeeze your finger after pricking to get blood for testing!
If I didn't squeeze each time I could never test!

Does anyone else have this challenge?

A/L

Author: QuietNorm Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2479 of 2598
Subject: Re: 10 Ways to Master Your Blood Glucose Meter Date: 4/17/2012 3:43 PM
I always squeeze -- not sure how deep I would have to prick the skin if I didn't.

Norm
(trying to avoid as much pain as possible)

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2480 of 2598
Subject: Re: 10 Ways to Master Your Blood Glucose Meter Date: 4/17/2012 3:54 PM
the further information states that you should NOT squeeze your finger after pricking to get blood for testing!
If I didn't squeeze each time I could never test!

Does anyone else have this challenge?

worse than that -- the Nurses squeezed and taught me to squeeze while i was in hospital (for something else, but Dx'd diabetic)

Author: dbruce100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2484 of 2598
Subject: Re: 10 Ways to Master Your Blood Glucose Meter Date: 5/26/2012 2:01 PM
Late to the discussion, but most meters have a range of 40 points. If I worried about washing, alcohol etc and the slight change it may make in readings, I'd be locked in a sterile room all day long.

The not squeezing thing is ridiculous. I would need to do a rather deep and painful test each time and my fingers would not enjoy the experience for long.

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2496 of 2598
Subject: Re: 10 Ways to Master Your Blood Glucose Meter Date: 10/31/2012 2:43 PM
Instead of squeezing your finger I was told the better way to do it is just stroke your finger with the thumb of your other hand from where the finger joins the palm up towards where the pin-prick is with a firm but not heavy pressure. This works great for me (takes about 3 strokes for me)

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2497 of 2598
Subject: Re: 10 Ways to Master Your Blood Glucose Meter Date: 10/31/2012 2:44 PM
Also I wanted to add that I do spend a little bit more money to buy the "microthin" lancets because I'm a baby about pain.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement