UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (82) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 56781  
Subject: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 10:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This is intersting. This guy wrote a book about stuff to do before you die and then he died when he was 47 years old. It goes later on in the article to say that he watched the trade centers in New York come down because he had an apartment only a couple of blocks away. It just goes to show how short this life is. Even people who live to be real old, aren't really here all that long. Not compared to the big picture. - Art

100 Things' co-author Dave Freeman dies in LA 2 hours, 5 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - Dave Freeman, co-author of "100 Things to Do Before You Die," a travel guide and ode to odd adventures that inspired readers and imitators, died after hitting his head in a fall at his home. He was 47.

Freeman died Aug. 17 after the fall at his Venice home, his father, Roy Freeman, told the Los Angeles Times on Monday.

An advertising agency executive, Freeman co-wrote the 1999 book subtitled "Travel Events You Just Can't Miss" with Neil Teplica. It was based on the Web site whatsgoingon.com, which the pair ran together from 1996 to 2001.

"This life is a short journey," the book says. "How can you make sure you fill it with the most fun and that you visit all the coolest places on earth before you pack those bags for the very last time?"

full article can be read @:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080826/ap_on_en_ot/obit_freeman...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14122 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 10:36 AM
Recommendations: 1

"This life is a short journey," the book says. "How can you make sure you fill it with the most fun and that you visit all the coolest places on earth before you pack those bags for the very last time?"

The airlines, today, are making it absolutely miserable to visit many of those places. (Just ask JT about his sister's recent experience.)

And some of those places are dangerous -- just this month the AARP magazine has a story about my little red ship that sank in the Antarctic. I took two cruises on that ship. One from Scotland to the Arctic via the Orkney and Shetland Islands and up the coast of Norway... and one around Britain to the Inner and Outer Hebrides and between Britain and Ireland to the Islands in between. Fascinating trips. I felt like that "Little Red Ship" was mine. Reading of the experiences of the people on it the day it sank, however, was really hair-raising. Imagine reaching your hand down to the floor of your cabin and finding WATER! EEK! Luckily, they all survived -- but it really was luck since the waters were unusually calm for that area at the time.

The Antarctic is one of the places I would like to visit -- along with the Galapagos. But .... if I don't get to, there are always photographs and films about those places -- and watching them doesn't leave a human footprint to despoil the area.

Places teeming with people are not on my list. At this stage of my life I'm way more interested in peace and quiet than I am in checking off yet another "place to visit before I die" and putting up with all the hassle and inconvenience that entails. Besides, I already live in one of the most beautiful places on the planet. :)

AM

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14123 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 10:52 AM
Besides, I already live in one of the most beautiful places on the planet. :) AM

Because I believe this life is all about making memories, and saving them up for use on the other side I think I've made some good memories of a lot of beautiful places I've seen in my life. I've driven all over the United States and seen the Rocky Mountains, Estes Park, the California Redwoods, Seattle and the Puget Sound, Northern New Mexico, East Tennessee, the Florida Keys, the coast of Maine, some of Canada, Mexico, and Jamaica. I've been diving underwater in just about every body of water surrounding the United States and quite a few of the fresh water lakes and streams in the South.

If you've never seen the Itchnetucknee River in Florida you're really missing something! The water is clear like a swimming pool just boiling up out of the ground and forming a river. It's unbelieveable.

http://funandsun.com/parks/Ichnetucknee/ichnetucknee.html

Art

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14130 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 11:18 AM
"Places teeming with people are not on my list. At this stage of my life I'm way more interested in peace and quiet than I am in checking off yet another "place to visit before I die" and putting up with all the hassle and inconvenience that entails. Besides, I already live in one of the most beautiful places on the planet. :)

AM "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

People can be justas interesting as mountains and seas - but you
have to take the same approach as you do when trying to see
wildlife ----- patience is a necessity. And patience is harder to
hang onto as you go on -or at least it appears so.

I suspect that enjoying where you are at any given time and in
any given situation is an important part of contentment.

Howie52
Travel appears to be headed my way again and I am trying to
"get my head right" about it.
Shall I stay or shall I go?
Or has the time come to let this stuff go?
Have to see - may fall through anyway.

I enjoyed a trip to China a few years back - learned a
perspective I would not have had without the trip - but
still - things are all at sixes and sevens right now.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14131 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 11:26 AM
"Places teeming with people are not on my list. At this stage of my life I'm way more interested in peace and quiet than I am in checking off yet another "place to visit before I die" and putting up with all the hassle and inconvenience that entails. Besides, I already live in one of the most beautiful places on the planet. :) AM "
-----------------------------------------------------------
People can be justas interesting as mountains and seas - but you
have to take the same approach as you do when trying to see
wildlife ----- patience is a necessity - Howie

I'm with Angel May on this one. I'm not a huge "people" fan. One of my complaints about Jamaica was how crowded it was. Talk about an over-populated island. I like wild places that are devoid of people. I've never understood the allure of Europe. A lot of old dusty buildings and tons of people all speaking languages I don't understand. I have no interest in Castles or studying wars and I absolutely detest politics in any way, shape, or form. I don't drink wine and think alcohol tastes like medicine and am not too much enamored of any of the food that comes from Europe.

In fact most of what I'm interested in and care about can be found right here in the United States. What I really like is clear water and being underwater. And when I want to eat I really like Chinese buffets and Pizza buffets and a nice steak house every now and then. I don't need to go to far from here to find those things.

Art

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14132 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 11:32 AM
>> One of my complaints about Jamaica was how crowded it was. Talk about an over-populated island. <<

Well, it is uncrowded enough that you can run 100 meters in a straight line without running into anyone else, that much we know for sure....

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14133 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 11:49 AM
Recommendations: 2
"I'm with Angel May on this one. I'm not a huge "people" fan. One of my complaints about Jamaica was how crowded it was. Talk about an over-populated island. I like wild places that are devoid of people. I've never understood the allure of Europe. A lot of old dusty buildings and tons of people all speaking languages I don't understand. I have no interest in Castles or studying wars and I absolutely detest politics in any way, shape, or form. I don't drink wine and think alcohol tastes like medicine and am not too much enamored of any of the food that comes from Europe.

In fact most of what I'm interested in and care about can be found right here in the United States. What I really like is clear water and being underwater. And when I want to eat I really like Chinese buffets and Pizza buffets and a nice steak house every now and then. I don't need to go to far from here to find those things.

Art "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have not traveled extensively - but taking the train through the
Netherlands and having a conversation with a few folks while looking
over the countryside was fun. The art museumms are quite worthwhile.
Is this something I'd say folks must or should do? No - but still
worthwhile to do.
The things in China I remember - again the museums (a weakness of mine)
and the Temple of the Jade Buddahs. Walking through the streets
and being a head-high above the crowd was also an unusual experience.
The architecture was interesting. And again conversations started
up - mostly it seemed that folks wanted to try their english - although
a few German's wanted to talk to a countryman and were terribly
disappointed - one bordering on upset at the time who seemed certain
that I was joshing them by speaking english.

travel is what some folks live for - others love it - others
do what they must, and still others avoid such things like the
plague.

I'm at the stage where I just get tired. I don't mind the hassles
too much but DW does not travel with me ---- and she can't for a
while longer. I miss her a bunch. I have to be careful with dieting
and exercise - and travel does not prevent doing things correctly
but it does make life more difficult at times.

I notice my blood sugars tend to run about 20 to 30 points higher
when I travel. I don't feel the need to do that to myself so
much anymore. The early retirement potential is real and so I can
say "No" (or "Non" or "Nyet" if you prefer). But I am still on the
fence - and jumping off the fence takes more thought than I have
given the situation.

Howie52
Long-winded today.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14134 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 12:23 PM
<<Besides, I already live in one of the most beautiful places on the planet. :)

AM
>>

Frankly, I regard lists of the kinds described of punch lists people want to do as a kind of gluttony. Such things have no appeal to me, and I I consider them more a vice than a virtue.

Such adventures probably play a role for young people in their teens and twenties, who have a need for adventure and the experiences of life.

For myself, I use travel and adventures like seasonings in life, to be used judciously to enhance life, rather than an end in themselves.

And I aim my experiences to enjoy the pleasures offered by the area I live in, which are one of the things Angel May and I can say we have in common.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14135 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 12:27 PM
<<In fact most of what I'm interested in and care about can be found right here in the United States. What I really like is clear water and being underwater. And when I want to eat I really like Chinese buffets and Pizza buffets and a nice steak house every now and then. I don't need to go to far from here to find those things.

Art
>>

When Art dies, we'll have to wrap him in some ship's canvass along with his favorite foods and bury him at sea off Key West. We'll put a few lucky horeshoes and some lottery tickets in as well to make sure he stays down.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14136 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 12:30 PM
I don't want to be doing what everyone else is doing. I go on vacations to get away from the herd, not to follow them.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14137 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 1:28 PM
Frankly, I regard lists of the kinds described of punch lists people want to do as a kind of gluttony. Such things have no appeal to me, and I I consider them more a vice than a virtue. - Seattle Pioneer

Seattle,
If you get the chance you should see The Bucket List. It's stars Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. It's pretty good. I think you'd like it. It's about the stuff that really matters in life. Two guys are dying of cancer get together and make a list of the things they'd like to do in life before they die. They check themselves out of the hospital and go and try and do their list. The name of the movie comes from the term "kick the bucket." - Art

The Bucket List

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0825232/

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14138 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 1:33 PM
When Art dies, we'll have to wrap him in some ship's canvass along with his favorite foods and bury him at sea off Key West. We'll put a few lucky horeshoes and some lottery tickets in as well to make sure he stays down. - Seattle Pioneer
---------------------------------------------------

I told Bonnie that when "I" die I think I'd like my body to be cremated and then sprinkle my ashes in a river or stream or in the ocean.

But to be honest from the many NDE's that I've read people say as you leave your body you look back on it and feel very little attachment and don't care what happens to it. Like an old worn out pair of shoes or something. Your focus is on what's ahead rather than what is behind you.

Does a butterfly look back on it's cocoon and feel some emotional attachment?

Kimberly Clark Sharp - near-death experiences
That's when I saw my body for the first time, and when I realized I was no ... I had absolutely no attachment to it.
http://www.near-death.com/sharp.html

Art

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14139 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 1:35 PM
Change comes to all things - including sites to be seen:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/storypage/storypage.aspx?secti...

“Years after being threatened by the effluent gases of the Mathura oil refinery, the white marble of the Taj Mahal faces another threat - a proposed garbage dump nearby will release methane and other gases that can have the same effect of yellowing the marble.
Environmentalists and social activists in Agra are alarmed by the proposal to site the city's new landfill at Kuberpur.
"The landfill site is dangerously close to the Taj Mahal and the Yamuna river, and is in the sensitive Taj Trapezium. Environmental impact assessments are yet to be made and the details of the project still to be worked out," environmentalist Ravi Singh told IANS.
India's Supreme Court monitors all developments in the trapezium to ensure no pollution affects the 17th century mausoleum of Mughal emperor Shahjahan and his wife Mumtaz Mahal.”

There is another reason why some local residents don't want the landfill be located in Kuberpur. "The new Yamuna Expressway from Greater Noida (near New Delhi) will end at Kuberpur which is going to become a new urban hub.

Howie52
Course, India has never been said to be short of people.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14140 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 1:59 PM
<<If you get the chance you should see The Bucket List. It's stars Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. It's pretty good. I think you'd like it. It's about the stuff that really matters in life. Two guys are dying of cancer get together and make a list of the things they'd like to do in life before they die. They check themselves out of the hospital and go and try and do their list. The name of the movie comes from the term "kick the bucket." - Art
>>

I'll look for it, Art.

Actually, I try to do the things that are important to me.

If I discovered I had a few months to live, I've thought I'd spend that time doing the repairs on my house I've planned to do to get it ready to sell, and sell it to simplify my estate.

But who knows? Perhaps Jack Nicholson has some ideas worth considering, however unlikely that seems based on his history!

Seattle Pioneer

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14143 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 2:53 PM

------------
The airlines, today, are making it absolutely miserable to visit many of those places. (Just ask JT about his sister's recent experience.)
••••

Places teeming with people are not on my list. At this stage of my life I'm way more interested in peace and quiet than I am in checking off yet another "place to visit before I die" and putting up with all the hassle and inconvenience that entails. Besides, I already live in one of the most beautiful places on the planet. :)

yup.

pretty much everything, everywhere 'scratched' off my list.

=
...... places i'd like to see again , but only one place i've never been i think worth the trouble to See ( odd coincidence for THIS thread --it's tied to my 'near-death' <G> )

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14144 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 2:59 PM
I've never understood the allure of Europe. A lot of old dusty buildings and tons of people all speaking languages I don't understand. I have no interest in Castles or studying wars and I absolutely detest politics in any way, shape, or form.

i USED to understand the allure of Europe ..and felt same about China and Japan. Now it just doesn't seem worth the trouble and expense.

-
..... Chinese buffet ..Ewwww! nearly lived at one my first yr grad school --never again. <G>

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14145 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 3:10 PM
>> i USED to understand the allure of Europe ..and felt same about China and Japan. Now it just doesn't seem worth the trouble and expense. <<

The problem is that almost no destination is so compelling that it is worth suffering through what passes for air travel these days.

Of course, as I say that I'll be on a plane in a couple weeks headed to Alaska for nine days, but the cool weather and escape from a Texas summer might make the air travel bearable. This one has been planned for a while, but after this I hope it's a LONG time before I have to set foot on an airplane or in a security line again.

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14147 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 3:13 PM
Of course, as I say that I'll be on a plane in a couple weeks headed to Alaska for nine days, but the cool weather and escape from a Texas summer might make the air travel bearable. This one has been planned for a while, but after this I hope it's a LONG time before I have to set foot on an airplane or in a security line again.

Where are you going in Alaska?

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14148 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 3:16 PM
>> Where are you going in Alaska? <<

Few days on a cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage, then a couple of days in and around Anchorage. Before I took a job transfer from CA to TX, we almost moved to Anchorage, even though I wouldn't have a job lined up. We really love it up there. We'd love to have a summer townhouse in Alaska and stay here in the Hill Country over the winter, but that's not really too feasible financially unless I wanted to work until I was 70 to pay for it all...

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14149 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 4:38 PM
<<..... Chinese buffet ..Ewwww! nearly lived at one my first yr grad school --never again. <G>

>>

When I was a utility gas repairman and worked in restaurants from time to time, chinese restaurants always struck me as the most reliably dirty places.

My most vivid memory was coming across a large restaurant gas range in a chinese restaurant, with all the flames burning distinctly yellow, which can easily create a carbon monoxide hazard.

Usually this is caused by the burner primary air shutters being closed. But when I inspected the air shutters I found they were wide open. When I looked closer to see the cause of the problem, I found the burners plugged with live cockroaches mobbing up in the throat of the burners to get some of the natural gas, which they like.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14150 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 4:44 PM
>> When I was a utility gas repairman and worked in restaurants from time to time, chinese restaurants always struck me as the most reliably dirty places. <<

When we were in Houston, the late reporter Marvin Zindler was renowned for his weekly "rats and roaches" segment on local TV news and there were a lot of Asian restaurants there in general -- and Chinese restaurants in particular seemed overrepresented.

His signature expose on restaurant filth was "slime in the ice machine."

In Alabama -- at least when I was there on a week-long business trip in 1993 -- the state health department required all the restaurants post their latest inspection results by the front entrance or the lobby and the score was printed in very large digits on it so it can be seen as soon as you are walking in. Below a certain level and you could require immediate remediation and re-inspection and, even worse, potentially shut down. I quickly learned to run away from anything below 80.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14151 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 5:37 PM
Few days on a cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage, then a couple of days in and around Anchorage. Before I took a job transfer from CA to TX, we almost moved to Anchorage, even though I wouldn't have a job lined up. We really love it up there. We'd love to have a summer townhouse in Alaska and stay here in the Hill Country over the winter, but that's not really too feasible financially unless I wanted to work until I was 70 to pay for it all...

--------------------

Well... if you were willing to settle for something less...

I saw a program on TV about a young woman who was looking for a cabin in Alaska on a remote lake. Remote is the operative word here. There are no roads. Everything must be flown in and out by float plane which lands, as you might guess, on the lake. ;o)

She looked at several cabins that were available. Sheesh. I could have written a check for all three of them. They were tight with the bare necessities -- but no indoor plumbing, of course.

But solitude and peace and quiet she will definitely have.

AM

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14152 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 5:53 PM

I saw a program on TV about a young woman who was looking for a cabin in Alaska on a remote lake. Remote is the operative word here. There are no roads. Everything must be flown in and out by float plane which lands, as you might guess, on the lake. ;o)

She looked at several cabins that were available. Sheesh. I could have written a check for all three of them. They were tight with the bare necessities -- but no indoor plumbing, of course.

But solitude and peace and quiet she will definitely have.

that you could write a check for three doesn't say much about what the rest of us can afford <g>

and if one were seriuos --have to take into account the cost of Everything being flown in.

-b
.... saw a thing on the TV about a similar guy ...bought the land and lived in a pup-tent while he built a cabin from the local trees ..even cheaper!

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14153 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 5:55 PM
that you could write a check for three doesn't say much about what the rest of us can afford <g>

Well, it says that they weren't too expensive. ;o)

AM

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14155 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 6:03 PM

Well, it says that they weren't too expensive. ;o)

"too expensive" is relative.

three beach front condos in SanDiego aren't too expensive for some.

three jumbo dogs from 7-11 are too expensive for others.

(>:

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14156 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 6:17 PM
When I was a utility gas repairman and worked in restaurants from time to time, chinese restaurants always struck me as the most reliably dirty places. - Seattle Pioneer
--------------------------------------------------------------------

When we were in Houston, the late reporter Marvin Zindler was renowned for his weekly "rats and roaches" segment on local TV news and there were a lot of Asian restaurants there in general -- and Chinese restaurants in particular seemed overrepresented. - Ziggy

If it doesn't make me sick, I don't care. I've never gotten sick eating at a Chinese Restaraunt, but I have gotten deathly ill eating a salad bar at a Bonanaza steak house. I'm not exactly sure what made me ill, but suspect it was slime bacteria from the salad bar.

I've eaten many many times at Chef Wang's and never gotten ill. That's the bottom line test to me.

As far as it "being dirty"? When I was a kid I used to go camping almost every single weekend in the summer at Lake Lanier in Georgia and we washed our pots and pans with dirt in the lake and ate with our hands and wiped them on our clothes and to get clean we jumped in the lake. I used to buy whole first cut chuck roasts and slice them up into steaks and marinate them in Italian dressing and cook them over an open fire, open up a couple of cans of Ranch Style beans, and man, that was some good eating.

Where we camped there was no toilet or shower or running water or nothing. One time it rained so hard we flipped over our boat and slept under that. We picked blackberries off the bushes and ate them and caught fish and fried them up in a cast iron skillet over an open fire and lived like cavemen. Did I ever get sick living like that? No, I didn't.

Bacteria don't like fire.

Art

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14157 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 6:28 PM
Where we camped there was no toilet or shower or running water or nothing. One time it rained so hard we flipped over our boat and slept under that. We picked blackberries off the bushes and ate them and caught fish and fried them up in a cast iron skillet over an open fire and lived like cavemen. Did I ever get sick living like that? No, I didn't.

Art

Ever seen George Carlin's routine on germs?

Text: http://scottmacknight.blogspot.com/2008/04/george-carlin-fea...

Churchy

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14158 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 6:39 PM
Ever seen George Carlin's routine on germs?

Text: http://scottmacknight.blogspot.com/2008/04/george-carlin-fea......

Churchy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'd never seen it before but George Carlin and I think (thought) a lot alike about germs. Not quite with the same passion and language, but the same basic idea.

Life is about the journey. I like Chinese restaraunts and buffets. I eat at Chinese Buffets. I've been told before that they are dirty. You want to know something? So am I!

Carlin said he picks stuff off the floor and eats it. So do I. I dropped some cheddar cheese on the floor last night and picked it up and ate it. I'm still here, didn't make me sick at all.

I worked at the vet school with animals for 17 years. I wallowed in dog and cat and rabbit and rat and mouse and chinchilla and bird feces for years and years. My immune system has had a major workout. It takes more than a little dirt to make me sick.

Art

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14159 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 7:03 PM

I used to do a lot of work up there. Here's a tip: Get the pepper steak at the Double Muskie in Girdwood. Actually, get anything at the Double Muskie. That's some good eatin'.

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14160 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 8:37 PM
Get the pepper steak at the Double Muskie in Girdwood. Actually, get anything at the Double Muskie. That's some good eatin'.

mmmmmmmmmm muskie

I need to harass my local fish monger to get some pike or muskie for me.

mmmmmmmm muuussssssssssskie

So bony, so worth it.

Once upon a time, a muskie (or maybe some other kind of pike) hit my lure, I set my line and the freakin' fish pulled me out of the skiff.

I was 8? 9? and if I weighed 50 pounds soaking wet, I'd be surprised.

My uncle told me not to let go the fishing rod. Dagnabit, I did not let go.

And, fwiw, that fish was some fine eating.

- T.

Author: malaoshi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14161 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 8:53 PM
100 to do before you die....

I've started a bucket list, but it is very different from DH's. He loves travel and got on to the internet looking for our next trip the day after we returned from the Baltic.! Me...I don't need it. Loved China, love the Pacific, love Europe, but love to retreat...

I'm like Angel May...in my present stage of life I want time to stare at the light on the water, enjoy the different greens of leaves and soak up silence by myself ,over a good cup of tea...at the cabin.

Doesn't happen. It's not DH's dream.He really wants to travel before he loses his sight...

Have been to all the states except Alaska and West Virginia. They are on my bucket list but not high priority.

Big Momma

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14162 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 9:02 PM
100 to do before you die....

I've started a bucket list, but it is very different from DH's. malaoshi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I suppose if I had a bucket list I'd have to put on it going back to the coast of Maine and eating a whole lot more lobsters.

I've never been to Hawaii, maybe I'd like to go there? The Caiman Islands? Diving in the Bahamas? Might like to go back to Northern California and seeing those Giant Redwoods again.

Art

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14163 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 9:14 PM
<<As far as it "being dirty"? When I was a kid I used to go camping almost every single weekend in the summer at Lake Lanier in Georgia and we washed our pots and pans with dirt in the lake and ate with our hands and wiped them on our clothes and to get clean we jumped in the lake. I used to buy whole first cut chuck roasts and slice them up into steaks and marinate them in Italian dressing and cook them over an open fire, open up a couple of cans of Ranch Style beans, and man, that was some good eating.

Art
>>

I know you have good training in safe food handling techniques.

When I talk to people in Scouting, I often ask if they've had experience with food poisoning on Cub Scout or Boy Scout activities. Sometimes, they've had such experience, like yours with the Bonanza steak house salad bar.

Scouting teaches boys and parents the elements of safe food handling and encourages people to put those principles into practice for the protection of everyone. I like to start with teaching the littlest Cub Scouts the importance of hand washing before meals --- you can imagine what those hands get into during the course of a day.

As boys get older and have more cooking responsibilities, the food handling lessons go along with that, and generally boys can be pretty good about that if they are trained to be and it's the norm of the group.

You can get away with being casual about things if you are lucky, but I don't aim to depend on luck, especially with groups of people who aren't family.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14164 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 9:25 PM
<<Carlin said he picks stuff off the floor and eats it. So do I. I dropped some cheddar cheese on the floor last night and picked it up and ate it. I'm still here, didn't make me sick at all.
>>

You may remember the Odwallah apple juice food poisoning episodes that resulted from unpasturized apple juice. It's very likely that the e-coli bacteria got in the apple juice from downfall apples picked up off the ground and processed for juice.

I make my own apple cider which I drink and offer to others and it's not pasturized. But I pick the apples myself and never use downfall apples. Doing so makes it pretty reasonably safe, since there is little evidence that such fruit gets contaminated while the apples are on the trees.

And what you pick up off of a clean floor may be pretty safe, which is why picking things up off a dirty restaurant floor may be an especially bad idea.

Of course, the bottom line for food protection is often to COOK YOUR FOOD before eating. If you do that, even contaminated food can be quite safe. By the same token, food consumed raw needs to be treated with particular care, as I described with my apple cider or the spinach/tomatoe food poisonings earlier this year reported in the press.

You may also recall the Jack in The Box e-coli food poisonings caused by contaminated hamburger that wasn't thoroughly cooked a few years ago.

Yes, you may get away with poor food handling if you are lucky. If you aren't people may get badly sickened or die. Personally, I am in the habit of using good food handling techniques I think, and use my influence to see that others do the same, especially in group activities.

It's really not very hard, after all.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14165 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 9:30 PM

I suppose if I had a bucket list I'd have to put on it going back to the coast of Maine and eating a whole lot more lobsters.

Lobster's overrated.

However, you'd like Big G's in Winslow: http://big-g-s-deli.com/ . All kinds of neat sandwiches. And their cinammon rolls are the size of curling stones.

You'd like Hillman's bakery in Fairfield, too.

King Eider's Pub in Damariscotta has some great food, too. http://www.kingeiderspub.com/ordereze/default.aspx

Churchy - about 16 miles from Belfast and about 25 from Camden, 35 from Augusta and about 30 from Waterville.

What the view will be like in a few weeks: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/andrechapelon/midocto...

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14166 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 9:55 PM
Recommendations: 3
<<However, you'd like Big G's in Winslow: http://big-g-s-deli.com/ . All kinds of neat sandwiches. And their cinammon rolls are the size of curling stones.
>>

When I find foods I like to eat, I aim to practice making them myself until I can do it well enough to be happy with the result, and ideally as well or better than the best places making the food.

My nephews had to be dragged past the Cinnabon shop at the airport when they were traveling. I was already pretty good at cinnamon rolls, but I practiced some more to do as well as Cinnabon.

In the end, my brother and sister in law would pick me up in their car on the way to SEATAC airport about four miles from where I live. I would have a batch of hot cinnamon rolls hot out of the oven for my nephews, and drive back in their car with their dog after dropping them off at the airport.

When they return and get off the plane, my brother gives me a call and I meet them out at the pick up ramp with more hot cinnamon rolls, their dog and their car. They drop me off at my home and head on home themselves.

I often wonder what kind of money some rushed executive would be willing to pay for that kind of service when traveling.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14167 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 10:29 PM
You can get away with being casual about things if you are lucky, but I don't aim to depend on luck, especially with groups of people who aren't family. - Seattle Pioneer

I can get away with being casual because I'm smart. I know what I can get away with. Like I've said before, I know how to skin the rabbit. I've pitched plenty of bad food. It gets dumped right over the fence into the woods. If some animal wants to eat it, be my guest. If it smells funky or rotten or has weird mold growing on it, it's gone.

And don't be deceived, vegetables can make you sick too. They can harbor pseudomonas or salmonella just as nasty as meat can.

Art

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14168 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 10:31 PM
Of course, the bottom line for food protection is often to COOK YOUR FOOD before eating. If you do that, even contaminated food can be quite safe. --- seattle pioneer

That's the secret to my success. Fire. A hot wok and some hot oil can cure a lot of ills before they ever start.

Artie

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14169 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 10:33 PM
Lobster's overrated. - Churchy

Not to me. I'm lobster deprived. I haven't eaten enough lobster yet in my life to satisfy me. I really enjoy tearing those big ocean bugs apart and sucking the meat and juices out of their carapace.

It's a religious experience.

Art

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14170 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 10:38 PM
>> Not to me. I'm lobster deprived. I haven't eaten enough lobster yet in my life to satisfy me. I really enjoy tearing those big ocean bugs apart and sucking the meat and juices out of their carapace. <<

Lobster's okay, but at those prices it's just not *that* good to me. I love a good steak or jumbo shrimp more than lobster. Even a properly prepared salmon steak is better, IMO.

Nothing against lobster -- I like it, and if you put it in front of me, I'll happily eat it. But for the cost? I don't think I'd ever have lobster again if I had to directly pay for it.

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14171 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 10:50 PM
I'm lobster deprived. I haven't eaten enough lobster yet in my life to satisfy me. I really enjoy tearing those big ocean bugs apart and sucking the meat and juices out of their carapace.

Art

Do you eat the heads? I haven't gotten there yet.

cliff
... Lobstah Lovah

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14172 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 11:12 PM
Not to me. I'm lobster deprived. I haven't eaten enough lobster yet in my life to satisfy me. I really enjoy tearing those big ocean bugs apart and sucking the meat and juices out of their carapace.

pretty much how i feel about Crabs.

if you ever decide to again visit the Old Redwoods, try to come during Crab season & give 'em a try.

=b

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14173 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 11:14 PM
Do you eat the heads? I haven't gotten there yet.

cliff
... Lobstah Lovah - cliff

Not the gills because they are disgusting, but pretty much everything else, except the shell of course. I even break apart and suck out the meat from their little legs. I mean as expensive as lobster is I don't want to waste any of it. I'll sit there and work at it till I get as much meat out of it as possible. It's making me salivate just thinking about it.

I'm on the Will Smith "don't eat after 6:00 pm" diet and trying real hard not to eat after 6:00 pm. Just here to tell you, it ain't easy.

Art

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14174 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/26/2008 11:38 PM
I'm like Angel May...in my present stage of life I want time to stare at the light on the water, enjoy the different greens of leaves and soak up silence by myself ,over a good cup of tea...at the cabin.

Sister! :)

AM

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14175 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 12:07 AM
I'm on the Will Smith "don't eat after 6:00 pm" diet and trying real hard not to eat after 6:00 pm. Just here to tell you, it ain't easy.

Art

That would be an "easy way" for me to lose weight. I got in from work at 7:00 the last two nights. Mrs. 666 pays double time for overtime. Ummmm ... How much is two times nothing?

cliff

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14176 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 12:08 AM

Seattle,
If you get the chance you should see The Bucket List. It's stars Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. It's pretty good. I think you'd like it. It's about the stuff that really matters in life. Two guys are dying of cancer get together and make a list of the things they'd like to do in life before they die. They check themselves out of the hospital and go and try and do their list. The name of the movie comes from the term "kick the bucket." - Art

The Bucket List

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0825232/

I second the recommendation. It is an excellent movie.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14178 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 7:39 AM
That would be an "easy way" for me to lose weight. I got in from work at 7:00 the last two nights. Mrs. 666 pays double time for overtime. Ummmm ... How much is two times nothing? -- cliff

I bet I used to consume 1,000 calories sitting in front of the TV at night. Calories add up fast. Cream cheese and pineapple preserves on wheat thins, or a big salad, or rice or pasta or a sandwich or pizza or leftover fried chicken or whatever I can get my hands on.

I'm trying real hard. It's been like 9 days now? I've been eating dinner around 5:30 and trying to finish up before 6:00 pm. So far it seems to be working. I wonder if it will do me any good?

Right now at this stage of my life that's about as much effort as I'm willing to invest in losing weight. I'll keep you posted.

Art

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14182 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 9:28 AM
"pretty much how i feel about Crabs.

if you ever decide to again visit the Old Redwoods, try to come during Crab season & give 'em a try.

=b "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Odd.
I don't remember many redwoods around the Cheasapeak Bay.

Howie52

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14186 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 10:53 AM
I bet I used to consume 1,000 calories sitting in front of the TV at night. Calories add up fast. Cream cheese and pineapple preserves on wheat thins, or a big salad, or rice or pasta or a sandwich or pizza or leftover fried chicken or whatever I can get my hands on.

--------------------------------------------

The "BIG SALAD" won't hurt you in the least. The bigger, in fact, the better. It's the dressing that kills you.

Try this one:

Two Tablespoons Seasoned Rice Vinegar
A good Teaspoon of Minced Garlic
A good teaspoon of Dijon Mustard

Whisk those three ingredients together by hand and pour over your salad.
It only takes a minute to make and it's very tasty. Notice there is no oil in it -- and that's where all the calories are.

Also... no meat, cheese, or croutons on the salad. Just lots of green, leafy veggies - and carrots and tomatoes and celery and bell peppers and cucumber and, of course, TOMATOES. You can even add a few walnuts and dried cranberries.

YUMMY!

AM

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14188 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 11:10 AM
Also... no meat, cheese, or croutons on the salad.

(blink)

No meat? No cheese?

DO I LOOK LIKE A FARKING RABBIT?!?!

sheesh

- T, loves salads but if you try taking away the lil bits of meat and cheese, I swear, I will stab you with my fork.

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14190 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 11:36 AM
Odd.

Howie52

He also has problems with Passamaquoddy, Chincoteague and Albuquerque. ;^)

Churchy

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14194 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 11:50 AM
No meat? No cheese?

DO I LOOK LIKE A FARKING RABBIT?!?!

sheesh

- T, loves salads but if you try taking away the lil bits of meat and cheese, I swear, I will stab you with my fork.

--------------------------------------

I was speaking of a salad that will help you to lose weight.
Of course, if you just want to maintain the weight you already have - or even want to gain weight... then you can add the meat and cheese.

AM
...would NOT like to be stabbed by T's fork. :)

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14202 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 12:39 PM
blink) No meat? No cheese? DO I LOOK LIKE A FARKING RABBIT?!?! sheesh

One positive thing that I've discovered since starting the Will Smith not eating after 6:00 pm thing is that I have NO acid reflux stuff anymore. None. I think it's made my sleeping a bit better. No need for Tums or any of that stuff.

Art

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14209 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 2:00 PM
One positive thing that I've discovered since starting the Will Smith not eating after 6:00 pm thing is that I have NO acid reflux stuff anymore. None. I think it's made my sleeping a bit better. No need for Tums or any of that stuff.

Hmmm ... last night I came home from the gym at 10:00pm, then I heated up some leftovers while catching up on some work (and reading the boards a bit) on the computer. I heated up a piece of leftover flanken, one hotdog, and 3 drumsticks of chicken. By the time I ate, it was already close to 11. I also had a glass or two of lemonade, the kind with citric acid in it (Crystal Light brand). I think all that citric acid bothers my stomach somewhat sometimes. But I never use tums, heck I pretty much don't use any medication at all. If I have a stomachache, I stop eating and rest, if I have a headache, I drink something and lie down, and if I feel weary, I rest or take a nap. It always seems to work :-)

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14210 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 2:03 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Odd.

heh.

different Bay.

had this 'argument' with a Maryland native a couple yrs ago.

she'd moved to SF /i spent a summer nr DC.

she claimed it was pretty close, but Chesapeake clearly wins;
i claim Extremely close --i'd have to try some more East Coast to make a clear choice.

=

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14216 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 3:08 PM
I heated up a piece of leftover flanken, one hotdog, and 3 drumsticks of chicken. By the time I ate, it was already close to 11. I also had a glass or two of lemonade, - mark

<chuckle & snort!> Sounds about like what I used to eat at night sitting in front of TV. I'd clean out the fridge of leftovers. What is "flanken"? Flank steak?

Art

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14221 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 4:05 PM
What is "flanken"? Flank steak?

Not quite flank steak. Sort of short ribs, but cut opposite with small bones all along one side of the meat. We bake or broil them with simple seasonings (pepper, maybe paprika, garlic powder). My kids and I love them, we suck those bones dry until only dry white bone is left!

Here's a good picture of flanken -
http://www.recipetips.com/glossary-term/t--35127/flankenstyl...

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14223 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 5:08 PM
"

heh.

different Bay.

had this 'argument' with a Maryland native a couple yrs ago.

she'd moved to SF /i spent a summer nr DC.

she claimed it was pretty close, but Chesapeake clearly wins;
i claim Extremely close --i'd have to try some more East Coast to make a clear choice.

= "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm no longer in the Md area and in SC they just have not figured out
anything other than she-crab soup - which is superb when I've
had some in the Charleston region.
I understand there is a severe shortage of crabs this year - and
they were awfully expensive the last few times I was up there.

I love crab cakes and they were pricey and a rarity when I was
growing up in Md.

The seafood from southern Ca to Wash is a bit more uniform in
preparation I think with maybe a little more Mexican influence
south of L.A. Nothing to sneeze at anywhere I've tried.

I generally try to avoid seafood when I'm in Wisconin, Iowa, and
Indiana - but had a lot of fun with my MIL from Ohio at times.

Howie52

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14224 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 5:51 PM
(mark) Here's a good picture of flanken -
http://www.recipetips.com/glossary-term/t--35127/flankenstyl......

Oh yeah! I know what those are. They have those on the Chinese Buffet in Franklin, Tennessee. They use five spice powder and maybe a little soy sauce, ginger, and sugar to give them a kind of barbecue flavor. I've eaten them before. They were pretty good.

I did a little splurging and I bought a bone in rib steak at Kroger's the other day. They are sale this week for $5.99 a pound. I'm going to cook one tonight in just a little while. It says it weighs .98 lbs. I'm still trying to decide what I want to eat with it. I'll probably just broil it in the toaster oven. Maybe just a nice salad?

Art

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14225 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 5:57 PM
--- Howie52

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What about those farm raised shrimp? I've really learned to appreciate them. They sell them in the frozen food section of Sam's Club and every now and again I splurge a bit and buy some. They are excellent. I'm thankful for farm raised shrimp.

I've read all the arguments about digging up all the mangroves and putting in shrimp farms, but with my income that's about the only kind of seafood I can afford. I used to be able to buy whole wild caught Alaskan Salmon quite reasonable at Wal-mart but I haven't seen them like that in a couple of years.

I also buy big bags of whole frozen Tilapia at Sam's Club. They are delicious deep fried. Pulling one apart and eating it is very similar to when I was a kid and we used to eat bluegill and bass. We used to catch bucketfuls of bluegill and eat them when I was young.

Art

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14228 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 6:33 PM
I understand there is a severe shortage of crabs this year - and
they were awfully expensive the last few times I was up there.

I love crab cakes and they were pricey and a rarity when I was
growing up in Md.

The seafood from southern Ca to Wash is a bit more uniform in
preparation I think with maybe a little more Mexican influence
south of L.A. Nothing to sneeze at anywhere I've tried.

season is approaching .. hopefully they won't be scarce and expensive...

have never found a decent crab-cake out here ..gave up trying.
( had good ones in the East )

http://www.viamagazine.com/weekenders/crab03.asp

yes, the West Coast is more culturally homogeneous than the East.
many minor influences (and sometimes major --Mexican)

the natives dragged the Crabs from the water and smashed them with rocks; i get them at the WholeFoods and smash them with a little silver hammer.

... getting hungry.

=b
..... grew up on Utah seafood ..so i'm probably not reliable

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14230 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 7:05 PM
<chuckle & snort!> Sounds about like what I used to eat at night sitting in front of TV. I'd clean out the fridge of leftovers. What is "flanken"? Flank steak?

Art

You've never heard of Flankensteak? It's what steak becomes after a couple of months or so in the refrigerator.

You have to chase it with torches and pitchforks.

Churchy

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14232 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 7:35 PM
=b

----------------

That's because they were all probably too salty. ;o)

AM

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14233 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 9:18 PM

----------------

That's because they were all probably too salty. ;o)

salty???

o .no. there was some sort of shrimp that lived in The Lake, but (far as i know) no one ate them (not even Noone).

so any 'seafood' came from god-knows-where by Mule Team (packed in borax?) or from a can.

-b
.... can't eat Halibut unless you tell me it's something else

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14234 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 9:33 PM
Blake Island State Park occupies the entire area of Blake Island, just across Puget Sound from Seattle, and with an excellent view of the city.

The Boy Scout Troop I worked with liked to camp on the island, put out crab traps and have a huge crab feast in the afternoon. I'd take my power boat and one of the parents had another a little bigger than my 17' boat. The "race" over to the island, with Scouts piloting the boats was a lot of excitement and fun for the boys as well.

Dungeonness Crab are legal to take with a shell diameter of 6" or so, as I recall, and a good si9zed crab is 8-9".

It's a good deal of work to dig out the meat, but it's good stuff.

Blake Island:

http://www.tillicumvillage.com/blakeisland.html

Seattle Pioneer

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14235 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 9:34 PM

Howie52

One of the dubious benefits of living in the 21st century is that almost all fish is frozen. Usually frozen at sea. So whether you get it in Dubuque, San Francisco (don't call it Fricso!), or Boston, there's a good chance it isn't "fresh". To me "fresh" means it was swimming this morning.

cliff

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14238 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 9:46 PM
To me "fresh" means it was swimming this morning.

"Crabs don't swim"[*] ...they just creep around on the bottom trying to look like Spiders.

-

[*] as Charlie Sheen said in "Apocalypse Now"

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14239 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/27/2008 9:47 PM
The Boy Scout Troop I worked with liked to camp on the island, put out crab traps and have a huge crab feast in the afternoon. I'd take my power boat and one of the parents had another a little bigger than my 17' boat. The "race" over to the island, with Scouts piloting the boats was a lot of excitement and fun for the boys as well.

Dungeonness Crab are legal to take with a shell diameter of 6" or so, as I recall, and a good si9zed crab is 8-9". - Seattle Pioneer

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a picture of what a Dungeness Crab (Cancer magister) looks like. I didn't know so I had to look it up. This is the stuff that's really important to me because if I'm ever back in the Pacific Northwest I want to know what kinds of seafood I can find and eat.
- Art

http://tinyurl.com/6kuns3

General History

The Dungeness crab (Cancer magister) is one of the most popular items on Washington seafood menus. Dungeness crab (Cancer magister) is found in commercial quantities from the Aleutian Islands in Alaska to central California. The long-term average annual landing from Alaska to California through 1987 was 37.5 million pounds (Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission 1987).

Dungeness crab got its common name from a small fishing village (Dungeness) on the Strait of Juan de Fuca in Washington where the first commercial fishing was done for this species. The Dungeness crab fishery is said to be the oldest known shellfish fishery of the North Pacific coast. A small fishery on the West Coast began in 1848 and grew through the late 1800s. It is the only commercially important crab within Washington's territorial waters.

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14247 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/28/2008 12:19 AM
Carlin said he picks stuff off the floor and eats it. So do I. I dropped some cheddar cheese on the floor last night and picked it up and ate it. I'm still here, didn't make me sick at all. -Art

I'll do that in my own home, where I know how clean (or dirty) my own floor is... but I won't do that elsewhere, least of all in a restaurant or other public place.

Last night I was eating Fritos while sitting at the computer, and dropped one on the floor. When I finally found it, I picked it up, blew on it, and ate it. Apparently I didn't blow on it hard enough, because I got a little dust in my mouth along with the Frito. But it didn't kill me.

Some years back I had a friend who worked at one of the nicer restaurants in town. The things he told me go on in the kitchen, behind the scenes, you wouldn't believe. Food is dropped on the floor, then picked up and put on a plate... Employees peel oranges using their teeth... all because everyone is in a big hurry and stressed out, so they do whatever they have to do to get things done.

If I had to think about such stuff, I'd never eat in a restaurant again. So I don't think about it.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14248 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/28/2008 12:35 AM
Some years back I had a friend who worked at one of the nicer restaurants in town. The things he told me go on in the kitchen, behind the scenes, you wouldn't believe. Food is dropped on the floor, then picked up and put on a plate... Employees peel oranges using their teeth... all because everyone is in a big hurry and stressed out, so they do whatever they have to do to get things done.

If I had to think about such stuff, I'd never eat in a restaurant again. So I don't think about it. - Andrew

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LOL! Everything he told you is true. Maybe worse. I've worked in several restaraunts and it's pretty bad. People screaming at you to hurry up, taking shortcuts, trying to get as many orders done as fast as possible. Food on floor? That's minor.

See why I prefer eating at home? I know where my food has been. Eating out ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Artie

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14251 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/28/2008 9:05 AM
I did a little splurging and I bought a bone in rib steak at Kroger's the other day. They are sale this week for $5.99 a pound. I'm going to cook one tonight in just a little while. It says it weighs .98 lbs. I'm still trying to decide what I want to eat with it. I'll probably just broil it in the toaster oven. Maybe just a nice salad?

One of my favorite meals is a broiled rib steak, some lightly broiled or baked broccoli, cauliflower, or asparagus with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and a small salad.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14252 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/28/2008 9:26 AM
One of my favorite meals is a broiled rib steak, some lightly broiled or baked broccoli, cauliflower, or asparagus with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and a small salad. - Mark
--------------------------------------------------------

I ended up stir frying up some baby spinach I had in the fridge. It needed to be used up. I cooked it with a little olive oil and "curry paste" which I make Indian pickle.

Indian pickle is this weird concoction of all kinds of different veggies and fruits that they pickle with spices, citric acid, salt, and some kind of red oil? I put the whole mess together in a food processor and chop it up till it's a paste. I use a small dab in Ramen noodles and on cooked vegetables. It's very spicy hot and I like the flavor.

Art

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14253 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/28/2008 10:18 AM
See why I prefer eating at home? I know where my food has been. Eating out ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Artie

-----------------------

Not only that...but nobody -- absolutely nobody -- seems to know how to cook a steak to the medium point of doneness.

AM

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14254 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/28/2008 11:04 AM
Not only that...but nobody -- absolutely nobody -- seems to know how to cook a steak to the medium point of doneness. AM

Okay, I'm going to fess up.... Yesterday I broiled a bone in rib steak and after I took it out of the pan I was sure it was done and put it on my plate and started eating it and it was pretty much still raw in the middle. Part of it was pink, the way I like it, but most of it was so raw that I put it back in the toaster oven and cooked it some more till it was done enough to where I could eat it. I'm not a fan of raw meat, of any kind. I prefer my meat to be cooked enough to kill all the pathogenic organisms.

It isn't easy to cook a steak perfectly. Sometimes it takes me more than once on the fire to get it right.

Artie

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14256 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/28/2008 11:07 AM
>> Not only that...but nobody -- absolutely nobody -- seems to know how to cook a steak to the medium point of doneness. <<

I've done it.

Oh, did you mean *consistently*? Never mind. ;-)

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14258 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/28/2008 11:51 AM
"I generally try to avoid seafood when I'm in Wisconin, Iowa, and

Howie52

One of the dubious benefits of living in the 21st century is that almost all fish is frozen. Usually frozen at sea. So whether you get it in Dubuque, San Francisco (don't call it Fricso!), or Boston, there's a good chance it isn't "fresh". To me "fresh" means it was swimming this morning.

cliff "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There is more than just the source of the fish. A lot has to do
with the familiarity of the preparer with the item being
prepared. And folks in coastal locations tend to cook seafood
more frequently than folks in the farmbelt.

When in Rome -

Howie52
Not always the case - but a general rule.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14259 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/28/2008 12:07 PM
There is more than just the source of the fish. A lot has to do
with the familiarity of the preparer with the item being
prepared. And folks in coastal locations tend to cook seafood
more frequently than folks in the farmbelt.

When in Rome - Howie52 Not always the case - but a general rule.

The best smoked salmon I've ever eaten in my life was in Michigan. We were visiting some friends who lived by (I think) Lake Michigan. I'm not sure which side of Michigan we were on, but my wife graduated from High School in Chelsea, Michigan and we had gone up there one year to her high school graduation and we drove one of the great lakes and were visiting friends and they had a big boat (looked like an ocean boat) and they fished for Salmon or Lake Trout or some fish like that and smoked it and it was delicious. It was juicy and flaky and incredible.

Art

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14260 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/28/2008 12:08 PM
"we had gone up there one year to her high school graduation"

that's "high school reunion," not graduation.

Art

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14261 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/28/2008 12:20 PM
<<The best smoked salmon I've ever eaten in my life was in Michigan. We were visiting some friends who lived by (I think) Lake Michigan. I'm not sure which side of Michigan we were on, but my wife graduated from High School in Chelsea, Michigan and we had gone up there one year to her high school graduation and we drove one of the great lakes and were visiting friends and they had a big boat (looked like an ocean boat) and they fished for Salmon or Lake Trout or some fish like that and smoked it and it was delicious. It was juicy and flaky and incredible.

Art
>>

With a little creativity I found I could smoke meat and fish pretty well using a gas barbeque. Smoked salmon ---- Yum!

I wonder whether Michael R smokes some of the salmon he catches?

Seattle Pioneer

Author: cattleman22 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14262 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/28/2008 3:52 PM
{{With a little creativity I found I could smoke meat and fish pretty well using a gas barbeque. Smoked salmon ---- Yum!}}

What a waste of money. You should smoke Salmon using the Alton Brown method. He puts a hotplate with a cast iron pan containing sawdust inside of a carboard box with the salmon suspended from the top. After several hours and a few changes of the sawdust, there is some smoked salmon on the cheap.

c

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14263 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/28/2008 5:46 PM
With a little creativity I found I could smoke meat and fish pretty well using a gas barbeque. Smoked salmon ---- Yum!

I wonder whether Michael R smokes some of the salmon he catches?

Seattle Pioneer

Some, in a smokehouse owned by a friend, but mostly the fish are frozen and then BBQd.

I like smoked salmon especially when it’s got a lot of brown sugar on it making it sweet. When it’s Really Sweet (extra sugar) it’s called ‘Indian Candy’.

MichaelR

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14264 of 56781
Subject: Re: 100 things to do before you die? Date: 8/28/2008 5:52 PM
The best smoked salmon I've ever eaten in my life was in Michigan.

The best smoked salmon I've ever eaten was in New York City about 25 years ago. It was from a real "lox" maker, it was fresh, it was absolutely great! The second best (and a very, very close second) was last year in Seattle - it was somewhat less smoked than the NY style "lox", but it was excellent, a nice deep red, and light smoky flavor, with excellent flakiness.

I don't know if true NY lox is made anymore, I think all the factories are in too much of a hurry to let the salmon smoke (cure?) for long enough.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (82) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement