Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: amiablejak Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 30633  
Subject: 100 weeks Date: 5/21/2004 2:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 47
In 100 weeks of low carbing, I have learned:

- Bad breath is good.

- Some things actually are too sweet.

- There really was something wrong with me. I was addicted to carbs. I am insulin resistant. I can/will never go back.

- Spaghetti squash is quite versatile.

- A little fat (olive oil, butter, nuts) goes a long way. It keeps me satisfied.

- It's a lot easier to climb the stairs to my apartment without those extra 63 pounds.

- Cheesecake is diet food.

- Other people's opinions are fine, but not always accurate (or even nice.)

- “Read the book.” Having only partial information is detrimental to progress. Know what you are doing and why you are doing it. I'll say that again - whatever program, diet, woe you choose - Read the book.

- Support is necessary. For me it came from on-line, in-person and from with-in.

- I can exercise outside.

- There is no magic bullet – you have to stay focused and motivated and being healthier.

- You can eat, just not everything. A whole bag of pork rinds is still a lot of calories!

- Ricotta is yummy.

- Patience.

- The scoffers will soon come around, especially when their doctors tell them to go LC.

- Way-of-Life means that there are occasional indulgences. I am free to take an occasional taste as long as I don't make an ongoing habit of eating those foods. It's not a free day or a free weekend where you start again on Monday. It starts with the next bite of food.

- Water quenches thirst.

- I can lift weights!

Those are just a few of the things I have discovered as I am in my 100th week of this WOE.

I used to eat huge amounts of food. I would prepare a pound of pasta, portion some out for a meal and box the rest up for lunches. Within the hour, I would be raiding those lunches. I was unstoppable. I would be crying while doing this. I had no idea what was wrong with me. I knew I had will power. I quit smoking, didn't I? (Yes, I had.)

I was walking last night and realized that over 2 years ago, I could not get myself outside to exercise. I was so embarrassed by my appearance that I literally could not go for a walk. I bemoaned this many times to my therapist (whom I haven't seen in over 1 year.)

I probably knew that I could not get very far since I had just quit smoking about 6 months prior so I had little lung capacity and had no muscle strength other than what it took to haul my fat butt up the stairs to my apartment.

Like I stated above. I'll never go back.

Thank you all for your support. This board has been a daily place of support for me. Your encouragement and knowledge are unparalleled.

jak
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement