Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
First I want to thank you for your previous answers to my IRA and tax questions.

I have 2 questions. The first involves the 100K AGI cap for converting regular IRAs to Roth IRAs. Is the 100K cap based on 1997 or 1998 AGI? If it is based on 1998 AGI, and I am close to the limit, I may not know whether I'm over until early 1999 due to mutual funds dividends, capital gains, etc that arrive early in 1999. Since I'd like to open a Roth IRA in early 1998 and need to convert regular IRAs to Roth IRAs for tax benefits in 1998 this could be a problem. Can you shed some light on this situation?

My second question concerns a message I think you (Roy) answered several weeks ago. I think you said (not positive though) that the taxable amount that is converted from a regular IRA to a Roth IRA must be added to the AGI for limit testing. I just received a mailing from T Rowe Price that said the conversion amount is not used in figuring the 100K AGI cap. I know I must add at least 1/4 of the taxable conversion to my 1998 tax if I meet the AGI test. Which do you think is correct?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.