Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
In looking at our filing options, we are investigating filing separately (a state tax advantage). Our 1098 forms contain the TAX I.D. number of only the first name on the morgage.

Can the spouse who's I.D. number *does not* appear take all the interest and real estate tax deducations? Can they do so if copies of the 1098 are attached showing their name but not number?

Alternately, if one should make, say 60%+ of the total household income, could they take 60%+ of the 1098 deducations?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.