Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My student loan servicer has furnished me with a 1098-E statement. However, they did not include the capitalized interest that I paid (which had accrued during a forbearance period), and which should be eligible for the interest deduction on my 1040A.

The 1098-E says that the IRS may impose "a negligence penalty or other sanction" on me if they determine that I overstated a deduction.

I don't want this to happen, but I think I deserve more than what my servicer has stated to me and the IRS.

What can I do?
-David D.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.