Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have owned texaco since for 28 years (10 shares gifted at birth) As a result of their resent merger with Chevron, i recieved .77 shares of the new corporation for each share of Texaco i held. Partial shares were not distributed with the merger, as a result, i got about 60 bucks back in November for the partial shares left over from the merger. I received a 1099-B for this money. Where to i report this money on my taxes. Is this taxed as income from dividends or as a capital gain on the sale of shares. If the latter is true, how to i calculate the cost basis?
Any help would be appreciated.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.