Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: snippee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: 1099 for expense reimbursement Date: 9/17/2012 11:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
(Seems like this topic came up earlier this year but i couldn't find the thread using the search engine. Sorry for asking any questions that might have already been answerd and thanks in advance for your indulgence.)

My husband had a job interview in 2011 and paid for some of the travel expenses (SEA-SFO) himself. He got a reimbursement check in the mail (around $1000; received in 2011) and a 1099-MISC in January of 2012. (I don't remember if he got a job offer or not but he did not go to work for the company.)

I know we can just do a Schedule C-EZ where the expenses equal the income (such as it is) so it zeroes out but i'm having trouble with the receipts my husband saved matching up to the amount on the 1099. He is not one to get mired in the details and doesn't really know why there's a discrepancy.

I toyed with the idea of adding in some mileage and other minor items we used to deduct when he had some consulting income for a few tax years about eight years ago. However, i got busy and annoyed with having to deal with this and started procrastinating and filed an extension. More procrastination this summer gets us to less than a month till the 2011 return is due and me needing to figure it out already.

It just seems wrong that we should have to file a Schedule C because of a reimbursement check. However, i am all too aware that my feelings on what's right and wrong WRT the tax code are irrelevant at this point.

So, level with me: Is Schedule C my fate? Or was the company who issued the 1099-MISC in error? If the latter, how should we go about fixing it?

THANKS!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement