Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm doing my mom's tax return now, and she has some tax-exempt mutual fund interest from a Vanguard fund. The 1099-INT came with an explanation of what states the interest came from. She lives in Oregon, but only 0.26% of the interest came from Oregon and interest came in about 40 different states.

TurboTax is demanding that I enter the state code from which the interest came. I have no clue what to put here, and Vanguard didn't put any state code on the 1099-INT.

I'm basically done with the return except that I don't know how to enter the state code here. There's no allowance for "various" or "almost all of them" in the application...

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Never mind -- found it. For future reference if someone asks the same in a search...

TT had it on the *very* bottom of the drop down list, after stuff like Guam and American Samoa, "More Than One State." So I entered two lines: one for Oregon -- 0.26% of the total tax-exempt income (about the amount of a Happy Meal) and the other 99.74% as "More Than One State."

No. of Recommendations: 0
Never mind -- found it. For future reference if someone asks the same in a search...

TT had it on the *very* bottom of the drop down list, after stuff like Guam and American Samoa, "More Than One State." So I entered two lines: one for Oregon -- 0.26% of the total tax-exempt income (about the amount of a Happy Meal) and the other 99.74% as "More Than One State."

If you use forms mode, you enter OR as the code for the Oregon interest and XX as the code for the remainder.

Ira
Advertisement