Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am trying to figure out whether to use my SSN or my LLC's EIN on the 1099-Misc that I need to fill out for rent paid. Same question for the recipient. Both of us are sole-member LLC's: we'd be sole proprietors if the LLC option didn't exist. The instructions state:

For a single-member LLC (...) that is disregarded as an entity separate from its owner.... For the TIN, enter the individual's SSN (or EIN, if applicable). If the LLC is a corporation, partnership, etc., enter the entity's EIN.

Does the "if applicable" refer to the last sentence? (If so, that's not how exceptions are generally worded.) So is it SSN or EIN?

Yes, I'm late.

Thanks for any help.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.