Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I just received a consolidated 1099 from my new broker, which has a 1099B section that lists a sale of some mutual funds (for cash which was then used as a contribution to an IRA, if that makes any difference), which was my only transaction of that type this year. It lists the gross proceed amount and federal tax withheld ($0), but nothing else.

Shouldn't there also be a cost basis for these shares? They were purchased over many years periodically, and also by dividend reinvestment, and there's no way I would ever be able to figure out what my cost basis was. Since this 1099 only lists the gross proceeds, how am I going to get the cost basis so I know what the long term and short term capital gains are?

Thanks so much for any help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.