Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 5000fingers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121114  
Subject: 1099 question Date: 3/13/2002 9:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just received a consolidated 1099 from my new broker, which has a 1099B section that lists a sale of some mutual funds (for cash which was then used as a contribution to an IRA, if that makes any difference), which was my only transaction of that type this year. It lists the gross proceed amount and federal tax withheld ($0), but nothing else.

Shouldn't there also be a cost basis for these shares? They were purchased over many years periodically, and also by dividend reinvestment, and there's no way I would ever be able to figure out what my cost basis was. Since this 1099 only lists the gross proceeds, how am I going to get the cost basis so I know what the long term and short term capital gains are?

Thanks so much for any help.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: edcosoft Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59715 of 121114
Subject: Re: 1099 question Date: 3/13/2002 9:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
They were purchased over many years
periodically, and also by dividend reinvestment, and there's no way I would ever be able to figure out
what my cost basis was. Since this 1099 only lists the gross proceeds, how am I going to get the cost
basis so I know what the long term and short term capital gains are?

You get it from annual statements you saved each year from the mutual fund company, and/or your broker. They both recorded the dividends you received and reinvested each year. You put them on your Schedule D or A of 1040 each year also. ed

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59723 of 121114
Subject: Re: 1099 question Date: 3/14/2002 12:24 PM
Does your regular mutual fund statement show an average cost per share?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement