Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
In March 98, I converted all my mutual funds traditional IRAs to Roth ($10,974.67). In December I recharacterized one poorly performing mutual fund account back to a traditional IRA and one week later reconverted back to a Roth (capitalizing on the tax break loophole, new converted total should be $9,822.64). I just received two 1099-R forms from my mutual fund company and I'm totally confused! First 1099-R indicates a gross distribution and taxable amount of $17,525.30 with a distribution code of 2. Second 1099-R indicates a gross distribution of $6,519.99 with a taxable amount of 0. Distribution code of G. What figures should I use on lines 15 and 16 on 1040 form and which figures on my 8606. I have a non-ded IRA basis of $6925.00 for 97 and earlier years with $400. non-ded contribution for 98.

My calculations are that I should only have $2497.64 of taxable income to include on line 15b of 1040. My turbo tax is giving me something completely different. Thanks you any assistance you can provide.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.