Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I recently received my 1099-R form from my former employer, but all it shows on it is the amount that was rolled over to an IRA. It doesn't show the amount that I had taken as a loan and then "defaulted" on, which should be reported as income.

Problem is, when I try to explain to them that the form is incorrect, I'm getting nowhere. I don't want to file and not report that, because my family is notorious for getting caught, as my mother has been telling me since early childhood.

Any way that I can convince the employer that they're incorrect, and barring that, how do I figure out on my own how much I need to pay the IRS, and how do I explain it to them if I'm e-filing?

Thanks in advance, all --

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.