Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: harbor991 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121572  
Subject: 1099R or Not Date: 4/14/2009 2:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello All,

I am 62 years old, and retired. In early January 2008, by use of a direct rollover, I had my interests in my former employer's 40l-K plan rolled over into a direct rollover account I set up at TD Ameritrade to receive them. A Form 1099 R was issued by the former plan's administrator and I entered the tax free distribution amount shown on line 15a of Form 1040, the notation “rollover” next to Line 15b, and “0” as the amount on line15b. I think I've complied properly with reporting requirements.

My question arises, however, from another transaction with TD Ameritrade around the same time. I also opened a Roth IRA at TD Ameritrade and issued instructions to TDA to fund this newly opened account with a direct transfer of funds from two different mutual funds I've owned for years that were opened as Roth IRA accounts. Each fund sold my share holdings and remitted the cash proceeds to TDA, but I never received Form 1099R's from either former mutual fund.

I have two questions:

1) Should they have furnished 1099R's to me, or was it not required since it was a direct transfer of funds between the two custodial trustees rather than an actual “distribution of funds” ?
2) If the latter is the case, is there any reporting of the Roth account changes required on my part ?

Thank you kindly for your help.

Harbor991
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Story Behind the Story
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement