Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
12/00: Rolled-over $6517.96 (and reported it as income)
7/01: Contributed $2389.83 (and did not deduct it)
2/02: Withdrew $8500.00 (and paid no tax at the time)

So since I'm essentially having part of my (already taxed) contributions
returned to me, I don't have to pay tax (or penalty) on the $8,500
withdrwawal, right?

Not quite. Premature Roth distributions are ordered as follows:

1. Contributions
2. Conversions
3. Earnings

Thus, your $8500 withdrawal (line 19 of the 8606) consists of:

1. $2389.83 in contributions (line 20 of the 8606) plus
2. $6110.17 in 2000 conversion (line 22 of the 8606)

Since all this money has been previously taxed, you owe no income tax on the distribution (line 23 of the 8606). Since the conversion lasted less than 5 years you do, however, owe the 10% premature distribution penalty on the $6110.17, unless you meet an exception. See the note at line 21 of the 8606 and page 8 of the 8606 instructions.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.