UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: RLFACE Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308882  
Subject: 125% Consumer Loans - Date: 5/29/1998 4:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I would like to ask some specific questions with regards to debt consolidation. I am currently in the hocker with tons of consumer debt (Credit Card). This of course is making it tough to save like I would like
too and invest in my families future.

1) My first question is regarding the 125% loans that are being offered.
I am considering taking a 110% home equity loan to consolidate around 32,000. I have mixed feelings with regards to this type of loan. I do feel this will help my position in that I will be able to write off the interest paid on this loan with regard to income taxes. The down fall is messing with the equity in my house. ( Of course I will get getting rid of those high interest rate credit cards and revolving credit accounts.) And feel I should be able to pay off this debt quicker than if I keep going the way I am paying the min payments on the Credit cards because of the overall savings in the monthly payments. ( by applying the extra $$ to paying the debt off quicker.

2) I also heard that you suggest to paying off you debt instead of investing in 401k plans. Currently I am putting money in to a 401K plan in which the company is matching my investment. Please help me understand why I should stop investing in the 401k tax deferred account and begin to pay off the debt I have generated. I am making a good return on my money in
this account.

I would appreciate any help you could give to get me back on the right track. I know this is not unrealistic , but just want to make the right decision for my future.

Thanks for you response.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement