Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jtm5749 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 39312  
Subject: 14,000 pullback Date: 1/30/2013 12:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What is the best way to use index funds to profit from the market pullback that will occur when the dow goes over 14,000?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFHockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39207 of 39312
Subject: Re: 14,000 pullback Date: 1/30/2013 9:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
You can buy something like SH which shorts the S&P. You can also buy to open Puts on SPY (the S&P 500 index fund) at a point to which you believe it will fall. As SPY falls the value of the Put increases.

Neither is for the faint of heart or the inexperienced, and you REALLY have to watch your costs, which (low cost) is one VERY important reason for owning index funds in the first place.

I'd suggest trying it on paper but include cost. See how your do. You read about the winners (a few), but the vast majority of losers are never heard from again.

Bob
RYR Home Fool

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement