Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: videousaf Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: 15% Tax Bracket; Roth or Trad? Date: 3/27/2000 2:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Greeings Fools,

I'm one of America's protectors of freedom and enjoy th e benefits of unusually low pay compared to my counterparts in the civilian world.

As a result, I am in the 15% tax bracket. I have a non-working wife and 2 small children. I'm trying to figure out what makes more sense for my situation: I would like to fully fund an IRA this year. Should I put my money in a Roth since I'm in such a low tax bracket, or should I fund a Traditional IRA since I could use the tax break now.

I don't know if it's important, but I have about 10k invested in the stock market and mutual funds, but had no capital gains or noticiable dividends last year.

Thanks for all you're help!

Howard
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32696 of 121219
Subject: Re: 15% Tax Bracket; Roth or Trad? Date: 3/27/2000 3:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<< I am in the 15% tax bracket. I have a non-working wife and 2 small children. I'm trying to figure out what makes more sense for my situation: I would like to fully fund an IRA this year. Should I put my money in a Roth since I'm in such a low tax bracket, or should I fund a Traditional IRA since I could use the tax break now. >>

A $2,000 traditional IRA deduction will get you a $300 tax reduction. That's less than a dollar a day. (Don't know if you pay any state income taxes.) You could, of course, invest that $300 in a taxable account and earn something on it over the years, paying taxes on the income as you go. Your $2,000 would grow tax free until you start taking disbursements, at which time you'd owe tax on the full amount of your distributions.

Contrast that $300 current tax savings with the prospect of compounded earnings on that $2,000 for probably at least 25 years (you don't give your age), TAX FREE, and to me it's a no-brainer. Unless you desperately need that $300 now, do a Roth.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: SnootFool Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32739 of 121219
Subject: Re: 15% Tax Bracket; Roth or Trad? Date: 3/27/2000 10:34 PM
Recommendations: 0
As Phil points out, your deduction in the 15% bracket is only worth $300. Viewed another way, you are "locking in" a very low tax rate on your Roth contribution by being in this bracket now. IOW, who knows what taxes will look like 20-30 years from now? What's the likelihood that you'll be in a lower bracket than 15%? Not very good, right?
Pay the taxes now by contributing to a Roth & you've paid the only taxes you'll ever pay on that money. Put the same $2K into a Trad IRA & you're at the mercy of a Congress run by Generation Xers when you retire! Like Phil said, the Roth is a no-brainer.

Chris

PS- yeah, sure your pay is low, but at least you get to deploy to Saudi & live in a tent. <grin>

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement